I am a pretty optimistic person in general, but I can't help but feel a certain amount of cynicism when it comes to the field in which I have been involved with for the last 20 years. Some random thoughts in no particular order or importance:
- Telecom now have a brand new CEO in the form of ex BT Paul Reynolds. I certainly hope that he can preform better than his predecessor.
- There's a new guy in town in the mobile marketplace. Can NZ Comms make a go of it? It would be nice to see some decent competition in this area, but I'm certainly not holding my breathe down here in sunny Dunedin - the jafas might benefit though.
- FTTN, wow! that certainly got a lot of people riled up - check out the forum. Again, can't see much happening with this in the mighty South in 2008. You have to ask though, have Telecom intentionally stitched up the ISPs that are jumping up and down, or are they doing it for the good of the industry?
- TelstraClear dumps Vodafone, and takes up with Telecom for their mobile offering. I certainly hope that there is no bad blood between TCL and VF over this and the fiasco in Tauranga, but of course, they are both proffessionals and would never let that sort of thing influence their future dealings.
Whatever happens in 2008, it probably won't be boring - which is cool, because there will be plenty of material for Geekzone - can't wait.
On the personal side of things, I'm looking forward to 2008:
- My wife is well into her university studies, which means I'm well on my way to being a kept man - wooohoooo!!
- My kids are at a great school, and really happy. They are growing up too, and getting more interesting all the time. I could do without the teenage tantrums though.
- The sun is shining and the beach is clean and empty. Really looking forward to long walks with my wife and our dogs, and swimming/boogie boarding/surfing with my boys.
- Another year in the industry, it's never been boring, and fantastic to work in the beautiful and challenging South.
- Loose some weight, get on the bike and get fit - yeah right!!
Comment by maverick, on 1-Jan-2008 17:09
"FTTN, wow! that certainly got a lot of people riled up - check out the forum. Again, can't see much happening with this in the mighty South in 2008"
Well the mighty south will be one of the first if not the the first to come online for FTTH - Cromwell / Queenstown new subdivisions will be FFTH due approx March 08 , so the South have some good news to start the new year with.
Add a comment
Please note: comments that are inappropriate or promotional in nature will be deleted.
E-mail addresses are not displayed, but you must enter a valid e-mail address to confirm your comments.
Are you a registered Geekzone user? Login to have the fields below automatically filled in for you and to enable links in comments. If you have (or qualify to have) a Geekzone Blog then your comment will be automatically confirmed and shown in this blog post.