IRC is a largely unmoderated platform where people can chat, whether it be expressing their views or opinion or discussing the latest news.
The Geekzone channel (#geekzone) is accessible through our chat page and any other IRC client. You can find a list of IRC servers hosting the #geekzone channel on synirc.org.
Here at Geekzone we want to promote and encourage the responsible use of our IRC channel, in a manner suitable for all ages. We ask you to read the following rules, which are enforced by our operators on-line:
1. Spamming/flooding the channel with repeat lines, offtopic URLs, unruly or annoying scripts, or any kind of unwanted or disruptive traffic of any kind, either within our channel, or via PM or other means to a member of the channel, is prohibited. Specifically sending private messages to other user after a request to stop is considered an offence.
2. Swearing - while the odd low-level expletive will be overlooked, unwarranted, repeated, or severe swearing is not allowed.
3. ASL? or requests for personal info are not to be made People value their privacy, and often only offer advice and information on the basis that their identity is unknown. Please respect this.
4. Bots only bots approved by Geekzone moderators are allowed in the channel. This includes scripts on your IRC client that automatically react to situations or events. (Away scripts are fine)
5. Adult oriented content is prohibited, including pornography, 'shock websites', adult oriented language or conduct or any other actions that could cause harm or offence to minors, or to the general public.
6. Requesting any kind of status in the channel is not allowed - including (but not limited to) 'ops', 'halfops', or 'voice'. If you have previously held a status, and it is gone, please pm an op AFTER you have checked that you have identified correctly to nickserv.
7. Evading bans is disallowed.
8. Hate speech of any kind (race/religion/gender/sexual preference/point of view) is never allowed. Even jokingly, you need to seriously consider how your words may affect others.
9. Impersonating other users is not allowed. You may not assume somebody elses nickname, nor a close approximation of such, with the intent (or outcome) of assuming their identity for any reason. (Parodys of names for laughter are welcome though)
Breaches of any of the above rules, or any other behaviour which lessens the enjoyment of the channel for other people in the eyes of the ops team, may lead to one or more of the following actions being taken:
A warning (publicly, or via pm)
A kick from the channel (you may return at your leisure)
A kick+ban temporarily from the channel (unable to return for a given period of time)
A kick+ban permanently from the channel (banned for an unspecified time period)
A formal complaint being made to the IRC provider and/or your ISP
Please note: this is not a kids chat. If you are under aged and feel uncomfortable please contact one of the channel operators and let them know immediately.