Red Hat introduces open hybrid cloud solutions portfolio
Posted on 28-Jun-2012 09:20.
Filed under: News
Red Hat, Inc. has announced a set of solutions that the company plans to roll out in the coming months that are based on Red Hat products and technologies and are designed to enable enterprises to build and manage open hybrid clouds.
The solutions combine Red Hat’s full portfolio of products -- including Red Hat Enterprise Linux, Red Hat Enterprise Virtualization, Red Hat Storage, JBoss Enterprise Middleware, Red Hat CloudForms and Red Hat OpenShift Platform-as-a-Service (PaaS) – to offer enterprises an easy on-ramp to open hybrid cloud computing with reduced complexity.
“Cloud computing has introduced a new era of IT and has brought enterprises to their most critical IT strategy decision this decade,” said Paul Cormier, president, Products and Technologies at Red Hat. “We strongly believe that enterprises need to embrace an open hybrid cloud approach, combining all their existing resources into their cloud infrastructures, crossing physical, virtual and public cloud resources. Today, Red Hat takes a huge step forward in enabling our enterprise customers with the technologies and solutions they need to build and manage open hybrid clouds.”
Introduced today, Red Hat’s four open hybrid cloud solutions include:
- OpenShift Enterprise PaaS Solution: this solution will combine Red Hat CloudForms, Red Hat Enterprise Linux, Red Hat Enterprise Virtualization and JBoss Enterprise Middleware to build an ITOps PaaS that is designed to deliver the speed and agility of PaaS desired by enterprise developers while addressing the governance and operational requirements of enterprise IT in an open and hybrid cloud. In the future this solution is planned to be expanded to enable customers to build a DevOps PaaS environment that is fully compatible with the OpenShift.com Public PaaS.
- Red Hat Hybrid Infrastructure-as-a-Service (IaaS) Solution: this offering will include the software needed to deploy and manage a hybrid cloud, including virtualization management with Red Hat Enterprise Virtualization; cloud management, governed self-service and systems management with Red Hat CloudForms; and guest operating system with Red Hat Enterprise Linux. Red Hat plans to include public cloud hours from leading providers with the solution in the future.
- Red Hat Cloud with Virtualization Bundle: this offering packages Red Hat Enterprise Virtualization and Red Hat CloudForms together to enable users to move to the cloud more quickly by combining virtualization and cloud management into the same project cycle.
- Red Hat Storage: transforms the enterprise and cloud storage market by combining community-powered innovation with the volume economics of industry standard x86 servers across on-premise, cloud or hybrid environments.
Red Hat Storage Server 2.0 is the company’s scale-out, open source storage software solution for the management of unstructured data. The solution integrates with object storage, enabling users to combine larger amounts of storage into a single centralized pool. Unified file and object storage simplifies the management of different kinds of data, giving customers storage and information flexibility, the ability to efficiently scale to meet exploding unstructured data storage demands and enhancing information access options in a more cost-effective manner.
Built on the industry-leading Red Hat Enterprise Linux operating system, Red Hat Storage provides freedom of choice by allowing customers to deploy cost-effective, scalable and highly available storage without compromising on scale or performance. Red Hat Storage Server can easily be deployed on-premise, in private clouds, in public cloud infrastructures or hybrid cloud environments and is optimized for storage-intensive enterprise workloads including high-performance computing, near-line archival and rich media content clouds.
Red Hat Storage Server 2.0 also features:
- Expanded choice, offering compatibility with more than 50 dual-socket x86-based servers from industry leaders
- Open and standards-based, Red Hat Storage Server 2.0 features support for industry-leading file access protocols including Common Internet File System (CIFS), Network File System (NFS), HTTP and OpenStack Swift; and
- Control without compromising data accessibility and availability, including geo-replication, equipping Red Hat Storage to handle the most demanding production workloads.
Available only in Technology Preview, Red Hat Storage Server 2.0 is also offering support for big data infrastructure, with compatibility for Apache Hadoop that provides a new storage option for Hadoop deployments. With the ability to install Red Hat Storage in Hadoop environments, either in combination and along with Hadoop Distributed File System (HDFS), or as a replacement for HDFS, this Red Hat Storage Server 2.0 technology preview enables faster file access and opens up data within Hadoop deployments to other file-based or object-based applications.