Thought I'd share a story with you from last week. I was helping a customer switch to VOIP. As part of that they needed to switch to a new DSL provider who does naked (Unleash in this case), port their numbers to World Exchange and install an IP module for alarm monitoring. Their wiring is a complete mess of stuff being tacked on which in itself is another problem. They have a Draytek 120 going into PFsense.
Anyway DSL moved across fine so no problem there. It just so happened that the guy from AlarmNZ came to do the IP module on the day and very time the numbers were ported. So the Alarm guy did his thing and the internet stopped working although the DSL light was on. I thought ah must be to do with the number porting as that was happening around the same time. Things didn't come right and I started to worry since they were moving to VOIP and needed internet.
So after 2 hours I rang the ISP who logged a ticket with Chorus. Double checked the wiring with the alarm guy etc. as perhaps the phone went through there. All the time the DSL light was on. After another 30 misn of checking and going through the ISP check list it had the obligatory turn on-off. I thought yea not going to do anything but did it and everything came right!
Goes to show the simple things are always worth trying!
Post your stories of overlooking stupid things when troubleshooting!