I'm visiting my parents in NZ for a few days, & noticed Dad still uses an old VHS recorder. His recordings were atrocious, as the old tapes are all worn out & I just don't know how he puts up with it to be honest. I bought them a 40" LCD last year for Xmas, but since they record everything on the VHS, they end up watching everything in low definition anyway. They record a lot of TV shows.
I'd like to buy Dad a digital recorder, something with decent storage capacity, & something with an intuitive interface (easy to use). I'm not really up with the play on Freeview in NZ, & even in Australia I don't watch TV so don't really know much about it. Anyway, I checked JB HiFi & they currently have several options on special.
Option 1. Panasonic DMR-XW390GZK DVD Recorder with 500GB HDD
Option 2. Magic TV MTV3700TD Freeview 1TB Digital Television Recorder
So I was wondering whether either of these, or something else, would be suitable (taking the points below into account). Thanking you in advance.
1. Ease of use - Dad is in his sixties now & he would need something reasonably simple to use. My brother still lives at home so could help out to begin with, but in the end I would prefer that whatever I end up buying is not overly complex.
2. Freeview - Is everything broadcast via digital/freeview? I mean, if I bought one of the options above, would there be channels which could not be recorded?
3. Do not actually require a DVD recorder. I think recording to HDD is the simplest option & external media is unnecessary for Dad's needs. The Panny mentioned above is a DVD recorder, however I've listed it as an option because other than this, it seems as though it could be suitable.
4. Storage - Probably 500GB-1TB would be suitable (can't imagine current offerings would provide less than this anyway?).
5. Price - don't really want to spend more than 5-600, but it depends; if there is something available that costs more but has a far superior interface, something more suitable & simple, then I would consider paying extra.
6. "Gotchas" - I did not include the Sammy Bluray recorder as, well, it doesn't seem to be available at the majority of the big shops, & also from reading comments on Whirlpool it seems as though there are some annoying things with the interface which are inexcusable. For example, recordings stopping if there is a brief loss of signal, deleting watched files potentially overly complicated, & other things). Just wondering if there were any "Gotchas" or show stoppers with these or other products?