I'm costing out my first HTPC, ready to axe Sky HDi in a few months. Its main uses will be:
- Watching, pausing, fast forwarding through adverts and recording Freeview.
- DVD/Blu Ray
- Maybe movies off iTunes
- Other options as they come along or become legal. Or I give up waiting for them to become legal...
I posted a question on the specs here: http://www.geekzone.co.nz/forums.asp?forumid=84&topicid=107018
My current thought is a Linux box running XBMC (as it's free.)
I'm planning on using the Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-2210.
It looks like the card comes with Win TV 7.
My Questions are:
- Will Win TV 7 work with linux?
- Is the interface easy to use? The GUI has to be as wife-friendly as possible. If it looked and felt like Sky HDi, so much the better. If she's recorded the news, she won't want to look for it in a folder in a file system.
- Does Win TV integrate with XBMC? if not, Is there any PVR software that integrates with XBMC?
- Is there other, better PVR software that will work with the card? If so, am I better off spending some money and getting windows 7, or 8?
- Will it be able to wake up, record something, and go back to sleep again?
At the end of the day I want something that behaves as close to Sky HDi as possible.
(Apologies if this has all been covered elsewhere - I did look!)