What I want to use it for:
- Playback DIVX / mp3
- Later - Freeview|HD (already have STB with PVR functionality - although basic)
What I have:
- MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum/SLI mobo (socket 939, ATX) - NB fan has been replaced with passive Zalman heatsink
- AMD x2 3800 CPU with Arctic Cooling Freezer 64 Pro (think that's the name, bought it a while back)
- 2GB RAM
- SATA HDD (got a few I will be juggling around)
What I think I need:
- Win 7 RC
- Case - ATX - black / full size to match AV receiver - reasonable price.
- GFX - 9500GT - seems NVidia have fewer probs than ATI at the moment.
- Bluray - http://www.computerlounge.co.nz/components/componentview.asp?partid=9381
- Remote - no idea
So I have a fair few questions. Apologies if some of these are dumb, have done a fair bit of reading around but am new to HTPC.
- CPU / mobo - are these up to it? From reading around it seems plenty of people here have been using similar CPUs.
- S/W - Is Win 7 the best option to build a new HTPC today?
- Case - is VFD worth having? Couple of options I'm considering - any other recommendations?
- Antec Fusion - http://www.computerlounge.co.nz/components/componentview.asp?partid=7603
- Silverstone LC17 - http://www.playtech.co.nz/product.php?action=showdetail&id=801
- Remote - Antec comes with one, if I buy a case without remote what do I get? And do I need to buy an IR receiver for the case?
- GFX - is 9500GT the best option? Any recommended quiet (passive?) options?
- Do I need SPDIF passthrough on GFX? - pretty sure I've got optical out on the mobo.
Or would I be better just to do everything on my main PC and get a Popcornhour C-200 when they're available? (and add a Bluray drive)
Thanks for your time.