"Sanity Check" thread closed, so new thread with questions.
I've trawled the posts and picked up a lot (but not everything!) on getting Sky (legally) & FreeView all working on a Win7 HTPC.
If I understand correctly the hardware/datapath looks something like this:
-----Win7 HTPC with H.264 decode capability (GF9300/785G/DiscreteVidCard)----------
- Jaycar reader is a kit avail frm Jaycar NZ. It can be connected directly to the COM on motherboard (W7 COM driver - on default settings) or via a PCI Sunix COM card (although the Sunix will use up a PCI slot). Latest posts suggest either COM solution works ok, but users have reported problems with the "Card Detect" physical switch/detect flag, a signal that is sent to NewCS. If problematic try setting CardDetect = 'NO' in newcs.xml config file.
A work around (if problems experienced) is to pull your card out slightly (~1mm) to disengage the card detect switch but still keep card electrical contact. Reason for this "randomness" is that the ISO standard does not specify the logic level (H or L) for the "Card Detect" flag and leaves this up to the hardware manufacturer and software coder to decide (see the problem!).
* This reader can be mounted in a PC using a 3.5" to 5.25" drive convertor.
** Jaycar Reader Mods are here:
From what I read the only mod needed for NZ is the Card Detect Invert Mod
& maybe the Schottky Diode Mod (either only needed if card read probs are experienced).
EDIT 19Aug: Highly recommend the Card Detect Invert Mod. Sorted out my card detect probs (see post below).
- DVBScard > A Hauppauge NOVA-S (or 4000) card is reported to work well.
HD requires a DVB-S2 card.
Access to HD requires a HD Ticket, which in turn requires you to have a HDi box in your home.
- DVBviewer (Pro) is a standalone program (.exe) that installs into W7. Incorporates a Plugins directory (to use with ACamd, see below).
You need one instance (program) of DVBviewer for each DVB-S tuner.
Eg: for two tuners (or dual-tuner card) you would have c:\Program Files\DVBviewer1\... ; c:\Program Files\DVBviewer2\... (and so on for more tuners)
RustyGonad: When you install each one make sure you select PROGRAM DIRECTORY for the preferences. This makes each instance standalone. This is also critical to making dual tuners work, otherwise both copies share the same preferences, which is likely to cause havoc. Also in each DVBViewer make sure you select all the devices that aren't being used to DO NOT USE under Options/Hardware. You should only select 1 tuner for each one, and it should be PREFERRED.
Mattv: Once you are up, with DVBViewer/s running you can go to plugins -> Acamd then in the Actions menu make the following tweaks -
All options ticked except:
Show Monitor at startup
Newcamd disable check on ProviderId
Lock on Connection ID is checked, everything below that is unchecked.
- DVBLink is a standalone program (.msi) that installs into W7.
Install both DVBLinkDV & DVBLinkServer applications.
* DVBLink presents itself as a virtual tuner to W7MC. You "tune" MC to this tuner in the MC setup as you would a "real" one.
- NewCS (1.65) is an application that serves your card (to ACamd) info via the PC COM port from the Jaycar reader. Configuration (which is comprehensive) is via a newcs.xml config file.
Setup (for Windows) is as follows:
NewCS.exe -The CS part stands for Card Server. This .exe can be dropped into its own directory (eg: C:/NewCS/newcs.exe) along with the 2 x .dll's that go with it. This program will serve info from a legit card when called. Called, in this case, by ACamd (acting as a client). It needs to be running all the time and there is a nice GUI interface utility NewCSgui.exe.
NewCS reads a configuration file called 'newcs.xml'.
Note: newscs.xml will need to be modified to match cardclient.conf (ACamd config file-see ACamd below).
In NewCS you may need/want to play with some of the settings etc.
(eg: a lot of people use "round" priority - there is some info on the options in the help files).
Mattv: My HTPC is a dedicated setup. I therefore have a shortcut to NewCS.exe in the Windows startup folder so once the PC starts it is available and then runs all the time.
-From my experience and others, 1.65 will only work on a Core 2 Duo PC.
-NewCS 1.20 (RC13) worked fine on my P4 Springdale PC. (see post below).
Image of successful 1.20 card read: http://argoramble.blogspot.com/2009/08/newcs-120-rc13.html
-From NewCS 1.66 onwards only Linux OS is supported.
- For a how-to and tips for getting NewCS working as a Linux Guest in a Win7 (Host) VirtualBox see here: http://argoramble.blogspot.com/2009/09/newcs-on-sun-virtualbox.html
ADDITION 27Oct: Consensus is that 17xx cards cannot be read by NewCS. See here for a thread describing this: http://www.geekzone.co.nz/forums.asp?forumid=84&topicid=42614
- ACamd v0603 is a .dll that lives in the DVBviewer Plugin directory. It reads a config file called 'cardclient.conf'. Acamd calls NewCS as a client.
Install is as simple as copying these files to the DVBviewer Plugins directory.
Note: cardclient.conf will need to be modified to match newscs.xml
Mattv: In the Acamd cardclient.conf you really only need the last line (without the # at the start) Naturally you need to change the username and password in each DVBViewer instance, for each user you setup that accesses NewCS. The CAID will need to be changed for your card. You can find that when you get NewCS to work properly - ie if it can talk to the card properly it will return a line with something like the one below:
[ 20:59:07 ] [ Loader ] Card XXXX on port com1 ready
- BSE/tool is a W7MC (Win7 Media Centre) EPG (Electronic Progam Guide) conversion tool for converting a xmltv file into a file that W7MC can use. It uses an internet (or other) sourced xmltv EPG scrape, such as that referenced in the BSE documentation. BSEtool can be downloaded from:
http://bigscreenglobal.com/reg/acct_login.aspx?GOTO=BSE (requires registration).
It is very powerful with some nice tools (ie: reset W7MC to first-time condition).
Thanks for reading this, hope it helps.
EDIT: 12/08 - Added "install" and server info for NewCS.exe. Added file links.
- Changed graphic to more accurately depict configuration. Thanks Mattv!
EDIT: 14/08 - More ACamd/NewCS info. DVBviewer Plugin tweak for ACamd.