I foolishly agreed to help out a family friend and set up an online shop so he can sell his products online directly.
- He has a domain name registered + some linux hosting at openhost so php, mysql would be the basis.
- He has around 10 products but would like a relatively easy to use admin to add more, his tech savvy is not amazing but he can work a basic website as long as it's not to overly complex.
- He currently sells on ebay, trademe and uses paypal for payments for ebay, so his online store would only need to use paypal for payments at this stage and maybe direct deposit bank transfer for locals.
- He might be interested in taking credit card payments later on, but understands it's expensive (merchant accounts, fees etc).
- He's fine with listing his prices in USD as he mostly sells internationally, if multi currency was included in the platform he'd probably list in NZD too.
- I have pretty solid html/css/js/general IT skills so no problem installing/configuring/skinning.
- It looks like the openhost control panel can do an automatic install os-commerce and magneto amongst others.
- Budget is minimal so free open source is probably the way to go for this one.
It seems like there are a ton of options in this space, so I'm crowd sourcing your opinion a short list I should go try.
Basically looking for opinions on which ones to avoid and any glowing recommendations, given the above background.