joker97:according to the link above, if i just want to root and keep stock kernel (not sure if used the correct terminologies), i should IGNORE the "Flashing Firmware with ODIN" bit and go straight to "Quick Root Guide"
according to the "quick root guide",
why then do i need to flash the insecure kernel and then install superoneclick and then install busybox before i then proceed to flash the stock kernel in?
at what stage in the process above have i "rooted"?
1) Install Kies (from HERE if needed) so that the computer actually has the USB drivers to recognise the phone.
2) Download Odin from the 1st post and the XEU-KE7 kernel from the 3rd post of THIS thread.
3) Extract both archives somewhere obvious.
4) Boot your phone into "Download" mode by turning it off, then turn it back on by holding down POWER, HOME and VOLUME-DOWN.
5) Plug the phone into your PC, close Kies completely (check system tray)
6) Start Odin, ensure that there's a yellow box with COM and a number in it displayed.
7) Click the "PDA" button, select the Chainfire .tar file you extracted, ensure that "Repartition" is NOT ticked and leave everything else alone, click START.
8) Done. Assuming no errors appear, the kernel will flash and your phone will reboot with full root access.