Time to get a new camera. I'm not really into photography, I don't need a DSLR, I'm not planning to shoot fantastic flower close ups or tremendous landscapes from a tripod. I just need a decent point-and-shoot to capture the occasional family photos and videos.
We currently own two cameras:
1) Some low end Canon, the cheapest in their range at the time (but with an optical view finder which I love, but is not really a must).
- Like: cycle time
- Don't like: limited zoom, picture quality, AA batteries
- Like: Picture quality (awesome), 15x optical zoom, rechargeable battery
- Don't like: Flaky face recognition, way too many options for what I need, very long cycle time
- Up to $250
- Any form factor
- Quick cycle time
- Preferably optical zoom of x8 or more
- Preferably rechargeable battery (for some reason I don't like AA)
- HD video (720p is good enough)
- Idiot-proof - in other words, the "auto" option produces good enough photos