This should probably be in startups but it seems i cant post there :(.
Anyway, i read about the terrible code job that was done on weedle, or whatever its called, and decided to prove that us kiwis can do a better job in much less time...
Long story short, i thought up the idea of how to display and sell stuff on the modern internet. By taking out these old ebay 1.0 style listed auctions and replacing them with a metro style payment and listing system, i believed i could achieve my goal of... In one week... Coding an entire functioning auction website from scratch.
I started this venture on Tuesday, registered the domain on Wednesday or Thursday (cant remember), and so far have completed about 60% of the entire site with until next Tuesday to finish.
Currently everything that you see works, you can register, create a listng, update your balance, bid on auctions, browse everywhere you want (except places, because that table suck and will be replaced), even add an avatar.
I hope you will take a look and give me your opinion on what us kiwis have achieved! Be sure to take into account that this site will remain functional forever (negating the need for any launch), and will continue to be coded.
Over the next month i will probably ritually just give anyone who has an account a bunch of balance so they can test stuff out. Tomorrow i will be chucking in a 'promotion' code to the registration form that will probably just give you an ad balance of $10 or something ($50 for geekzone members).
I will continue to check this thread for comments and update it with progress if it interests you all :)
YEA NEW ZEALAND!
P.S. This site is designed to be as simple as humanly possible.. The listing page for example took an old lady i had test it about 1/5 as long to list something as it took her to list the same thing on trademe.
- You can list stuff (and edit/extend/delete listings)
- You can add balance (paypal for now)
- You can browse auctions (Metro style!)
- You can add an avatar
- You can bidd on auctions
- You can choose a reverse auction or classified style listing
- All other features of normal auction listing procedure (that i could think of, and that weren't useless or redundant) are added
- You will be able to actually win auctions (this isnt coded yet, however most auctions must be 2 weeks long anyway,, so this shouldn't really matter)
- Messaging system (you will recieve emails when stuff happens as well as messages on the actual website.. This will hopefully make it easier to communicate with the person that won your auction or is interested in it)
- Alert system (we will be adding the ability to receive alerts via txt when stuff happens
- Feedback score (we will add a feedback system)
- Something not as crap as paypal (we will add other payment options)
- Facebook connect
- Twitter connect
- Anything else you can think of that we need to add!