We’re in the planning stages of a geek DSL service.
I’m sick of seeing mates getting ripped for 10gb per month plans just because they watched a HD rental on their apple TV, or a bit much youtube.
We’re aiming to offer 2 plans and would like some feedback, here & on the google forms link at the bottom of this post.
100gb for $110
50gb for $70
Static IP as standard
Full speed adsl2 where available
Overage at around 80 cents / gb
The $110 per month example does not include line rental, so would have a total cost of about $140 after you pay your telecom line rental of $40ish.
telecom line (not vodafone or other, must be telecom)
Not Naked - The service needs an operational Telecom land line & account (sorry).
Ideals / Ideas:
- Geeks helping geeks
- Support: Wiki & Forum, ticketing system for other weird questions, local speedtest page, Auzzie based monitoring page.
- We will monitor the service through naigos and an ongoing traceroute and ping, so if there’s a network outage we’ll usually know first. Our website is hosted in Auzzie, so you can check it from your iphone (read - any xhtml capable device) to see if we are aware of any NZ based DSL network outages.
- We’re unlikely to have an 0800 number as we hope this can just be a low margin web based product.
- All setup will be from our website, no phone calls to us needed.
- A web portal will be available to see usage, set email alerts etc.
- Yes, you can hook up your mum and other non geek mates on this plan if you want. We may even figure out an affiliate program.
- If your mates computer runs slow a lot and s/he likes to call and complain to her dsl provider, she’s probably better sticking with a big provider like Xtra or Telstra. (and reformatting to Ubuntu or buying a Mac IMHO)
- No free modems, drop into Dick Smith if you need one. (don’t buy the cheapest)
- No contract term, we want you to stay because we rock, not because we glued you to us.
- No signup fee, although there may be a “buy us a beer” button.
- No disconnect fee
- All payments by credit card, monthly in advance.
- No free webspace for your “homepage” - use facebook.com
- No virus checking - use Ubuntu.
- No pop3 addresses (try gmail.com)
- We may offer an rss / xml feed (url+giud) that lets you see your gb usage and our network status.
- Possibly rollover GB’s so they can store up if not used, if I can be bothered programming that logic. - Thoughts?
Likely signup procedure:
- Create an account on our portal
- Input your phone number and start date for service
- We’ll email your new username and password to you for the adsl router.
- We’ll email you when the change has happened. (usually 7 days)
- Log in to the routers IP locally and enter your username and password
- Thats it.
Please fill in our feedback form :