Backstory - I've been training for the City2Surf here in Chch just doing the 6km run.
However, after that's over I want to start gamifying my runs to keep up/improve my fitness level.
I don't listen to music much, and currently work at a desk, so have my phone within access at all times.
I have a Samsung S5 mobile, but have disabled s-Health to save battery and use Endomondo to track runs.
Pros and cons of each:
- battery life - 2 days.
- doesn't check heart rate constantly - only every 10 minutes unless you start an activity.
- Can hold music.
- beautiful screen.
- Potentially more open to 3rd party apps.
- Built in GPS and maps.
- Better notifications (/can respond/make calls?)
- water resistant (IP68 - Same as my phone)
- No music.
- no GPS but can use mobile GPS
- Not water resistant, barely 'splash proof'.
- V02max sensor
- Constantly checks heartrate
- better battery life
- better sleep tracking
- Still has good notifications
What they both offer:
- Silent (vibrate) alerts.
- notifications on device
- sleep tracking
- heart rate tracking
I'm really struggling there, they're both around the same price - $250.
I've looked into, but am not keen on Vivoactive series by Garmin.