I am slowly looking around for a media player, not in any hurry so I don't want to rush into buying one straightaway, would rather do as much research as possible first.
What I would like in a media player is:
1) Internal hard drive eg like WD Live TV Hub (or at least the option to install one eg Popcorn Hour C-200 or C-300)
2) Must fit in well amongst my home theatre/stereo system components (Popcorn Hour C-200/300 is perfect for this) as opposed to ugly ones like Boxee box or the Seagate media player.
3) Must have good software for playing lossless music (this will be my main use for it), must have all the functions you would see in good media software, like shuffle, repeat, being able to make playlists on the go like windows media player does (I don't like with some media/mp3 players that you can only play/shuffle only 1 album at a time).
4) Would really prefer that it has Coaxial Digital output. (Can have optical as well, HDMI etc would be a bonus for the few times I might use it for movies), but yes coaxial digital is preferable.
5) I'm sure someone will say why don't you just use Windows Media Player on your PC? I suppose I should mention that I want a standalone player, something I can just switch on without having to boot up the computer everytime I want to listen to music.
The WD Live TV Hub looks ok but it doesn't have coaxial output, does anyone know what they are like for playing music? I've found out you can get an Android app for it that you can use to control it, which makes it ideal for me, does anyone know how well this works with the TV off? What other media players can be controlled by an Android phone?
Popcorn Hour C-200 or C-300 would be perfect as they would fit in well with my setup and they have both coaxial and optical output. But I have read on their forums that people aren't happy with them for playing music, it seems to miss the first couple of seconds of each track, due to buffering or something, i'm not sure, but that's enough to be a PITA. Wouldn't be so bad for movies if it missed the first few seconds of audio, but it's not favourable at all for music. Everyone said they were great for movies, hopeless for music.
AC Ryan were looking ok until every review I found on them said they were rubbish, and after sales support was non-existent (eg no firmware updates etc).
The only other one that interests me is the LaCie LaCinema PlayHD (not to be confused with LaCie Classic which unfortunately doesn't have coaxial output). But I haven't found any info on how good the music player is on them, and what little info I can find is usually in French. Does anyone here have one of these?
Thanks for your input