I am making some progress on this problem. If I enter www.facebook.com into the URL bar, it is very slow to get there, even timing out sometimes. If I enter https://www.facebook.com it goes every time. If I enter http://www.facebook.com it is also very slow. It is obviously the redirect to secure https is the problem. Have tried my old Voderfone HG566a modem and it still does this. Easy answer for me is to make my bookmark https;//www.facebook.com. Any ideas why this is happening?
OK, I understand now what you wanted. Have set manual DNS in properties of network card to 188.8.131.52 and 184.108.40.206. Jumped straight to step 2 as think I have tried step 1 already. Can always try step 1 if step 2 makes a difference. Working OK now, but can go OK for a day or so...
OK. Did all my testing with my ipad. A lot quicker to change settings, and the ipad also seems to really consistantly hate facebook. With manual settings of dns of 220.127.116.11 I can not fault. With 18.104.22.168 it just stalls and times out. When I put it back to DHCP after quite a lot of trying, it now will go to facebook. Such is the nature of this intermittant problem.
I'm having the exact same problem with Facebook, its been like this for several weeks now with the same error message as in the first post. Tried on my Win7 laptop, wifes XP laptop and my iphone over wifi and identical on all three. I use Chrome, Opera and IE, no difference. Router (linksys WRT54GSV4) and modem (DYNALINK RTA1320) reset numerous times. Been with vodafone over 12 months and first problems i've had and no changes to hardware since signing up. I don't use the vodafone modem as it isn't very customisable and I have specific access times setup for my kids with blocking keywords.
If I setup my iphone as a personal hotspot and connect the laptops to that the problem goes away (2degrees). Today seems to be a lot worse, problems with Gmail not responding and Trademe is almost unuseable.
DNS is set to auto, always has been. New Telecom 150GB plan for same cost as my 80GB plan is looking appealing!
Hi. I can't fault facebook anymore. Has come right. But when it was faulty, I found that putting in httpS://www.facebook.com instead of just www.facebook.com would make it work everytime. Give that a try in the meantime. It worked for me.