I am considering upgrading from my ADSL2+ Connection to a Naked VDSL connection. Estimated attainable rates are between 40-50Mbps and upload of 5-8Mbps.
I have some questions please:
1) With that much bandwidth is it worth me setting up QOS?
2) Is there a nice SIMPLE bandwidth calculator that will allow me to work out how much traffic each hour of calling will cost in terms of bandwidth?
3) We have 5 extensions in our house, all on 1 line/circuit. I would ideally like to seamlessly connect them to the VOIP system, I presume I need to find the point they all connect outside onto the street, and instead interface that to a VOIP device (ATA?). We want the whole system to work as closely on VOIP as it does now. Each phone can be picked up and dialed from (All cordless dect 5.8ghz).
4) Is faxing going to be massively a problem? My wife is a doctor she still sends/receives faxes semi regularly for legal reasons. We have an Epson MFC now.
5) 2talk seem to be the cost cost effective and biggest provider, any caveats or alternative recommendations worth considering?
6) I have heard that g.729 and g.711 are the codecs to try and go for. Is this correct? We don't want to compromise much if at all on call quality. I understand that perhaps WXC are the only provider with the superior 711 system? This uses 64k and the 729 is 8K? MOS according to the sites I looked at rated (from 5) g.711 as 4.1 and g.729 as 3.92 which doesn't seem far apart, though one uses 8x the bandwidth of the other.
7) Does anyone here have a regular household and know roughly how much bandwidth they use just for VOIP?
Thanks for the assistance.