I have two separate InHome packages with TelstraClear (at two different addresses in the same suburb of Tauranga). During the evenings in the past couple of weeks both of these connections have become pretty frustrating to use. For example:
- an average ping of 250ms to www.telstraclear.net.nz
- an average ping of 450ms to www.google.co.nz
- average download speeds of 30KB/s from iTunes (downloading rental movie - 46hours to download a 1.48Gb movie!)
- consumer.net.nz speed test of 1.17Mbps down, 0.55Mb/s up.
- telstraclear.net.nz speed test of 3.50Mb/s down, 0.75Mpbs up. 274ms ping.
Those ping times are terrible! One of my connections is hardwired to the router and the other is on wifi - both show pretty much the same poor results.
My router connection details (for one of the addresses) are:
Attenuation: 9.0db down, 4.4db up
Noise margin: 12.1db down, 12.8db up.
Pinging between both connections (in the same suburb) shows an average 210ms ping.
I also have a business TelstraClear account which normally flies during the day. I can ssh into it from home and ping www.telstraclear.net.nz and the average is 270ms. That's pretty bad considering it's the website of my ISP. If I connect to a server on a client in Auckland and ping the same address, I get an average 2.43ms ping. over 100 times as fast.
I have send off a support contact to TelstraClear.
Is this a matter of congestion on the TC network? Is anyone else experiencing this? It's mightily frustrating and make both of my home connections in the evening pretty much unusable. 46 hours to download a 1.48Gb rented movie from iTunes!!!