Would appreciate some advice please on this.
I currently have a Win7Pro laptop which I use primarily for work (mostly documents/spreadsheets/databases). I'm about to get a desktop with Win7Pro primarily for gaming. However, I'd also like to do some work on the desktop.
To simplify things a bit, this is all happening in one geographical location only - my work doesn't allow internet access on personal computers.
So here's what I'd like to do:
1) Do work on the desktop using the same *.docx / *.xlsx / etc. files as is on the laptop (or copies of)
2) Use Outlook (offline at work location), bring laptop home, and use same *.ost on desktop
3) Backup gaming user files from desktop to laptop
The main options I've come across so far are
1) Sync partnership between laptop and desktop e.g. Win7's built in Sync Center. Obviously will only be able to sync once at home. However apparently won't be able to get Outlook syncing.
2) Share laptop folders with desktop --> access laptop user files from desktop when at home across LAN, and copy files from laptop to desktop and vice versa for backup.
While gaming isn't 'mission critical', work user files and Outlook are things I'd really hate to stuff up, which I'm guessing there's a higher risk with the sync option e.g. modify document on laptop at work, come home, accidentally modify same document on desktop before it's had a chance to sync -> lose changes on laptop because desktop document timestamp is latest.
Thanks in advance for thoughts on
1) Experience with above options
2) Any other options?