KiwiNZ: The changes I would like to see are...
1. Extend the term of office to 4 years.
2. The voting public decide who in the Government shall be the Prime Minister not the party or Cabinet.
3. Raise the threshold for gaining seats from 5% to 8%.
4. Ban list MP's from changing parties whilst in office.
5. restrict list MP's to a maximum of two terms.If at the end of their second term they are elected as a constituent PM they can remain in Parliament.
1. Can live with that, however make the election date set to say first weekend in October so early elections when the polls are right does not influence the outcome.
2. Perhaps , but there are other ways such as once you are made PM your party can not change you until election time.
3. No, that would eventually bring us back to a 2 party system.
4. So they stay and vote against their party..... ah no, if they leave, they leave and the next person gets in.
5. PM yes, MPs no, experience is needed both as opposition and in cabinet.
Add to this list
100% of donations must be listed, we saw how the limits could be rigged by splitting the cheque in two. If you are too ashamed to be listed then don't donate.
NO donations can be made within 60 days of an election
A FULL list of donation must be made PUBLIC 50 days from an election.
Maximum donation of $10,000 per person
No donations allowed from non voting entities (unions, companies, trusts, churches, lobbyists, overseas interests, etc), if you can not vote you have zero right to influence the election.