hagrid:andrewNZ: You could look at Stablebit DrivePool and Scanner. I use it, and it's awesome. There's a 30 day trial too.
DrivePool pools your disks and presents one large virtual disk. Pool disks can be any size and don't have to be the same. It even allows duplication of the folders you chose.
Scanner monitors disks and gives DrivePool the ability to avoid using hot disks and evacuate disks detected to be failing.
Does it still show the individual drives in My Computer I assume it does.
It does, but you don't have to touch them. I've changed my disks from drive letters to NTFS mount points, they're still accessible, but kind of hidden that way.
Keeping 2 copies of specific items is possible, but you'd have to either finely manage it, or have a favorites folder.
DrivePool is like RAID in many ways, but far better for the average user IMO. I'd seriously recommend trying it, you can always decide you don't like it and unstal it.
- Files are always intact, so you don't lose more data than what was on a disk. Folders may be split across disks.
- You can add/remove/swap drives at any time.
- You can add disks with data on them and you won't lose data.
- Disk size doesn't matter.
- If Scanner detects trouble it will tell you, and if it's bad DrivePool will attempt to evacuate the disk.
- If a disk is hot it is avoided if possible.