I need to replace my WAG-54G as it has decided it will operate in wireless AP isolation mode no matter what I do. I'd like to add some rudimentary NAS as well. I have some specific requirements I'd like to address:
- Respectable & reliable ADSL 2+ performance over POTS
- Reliable wireless B/G/N (with multiple SSID’s preferred). Max range is not critical.
- Wireless devices can actually see each other!
- 4 LAN ports or more
- Support for USB powered HDD and file sharing
- Firewall with some port forwarding configurability (nothing too fancy needed)
- Hardware power switch (or recovery to ‘On’ in the event of a power failure)
- 2.4Ghz compatibility
- Under $200
- Good out-of-the-box VPN support e.g. supporting 2 VPN clients (one Microsoft, one Cisco) behind the router and other devices must not lose their internet connection when VPN is running (unlike the now returned Orcon “Genius”).
- Ability to set up at least 10 access restriction rules with the rules checking MAC address of source (e.g. devices A and B have internet access only 8am to 8pm, other devices are not restricted).
I would have thought something around $150 could do the above e.g. Netgear DGN2200 or Linksys WAG320N although research indicates that people seem to have wireless problems with both of those.
I see the TP Link-WR1043ND has supporters on these forums and they are good value at ~ $100.
Also some "nice to haves" if cheap enough:
a) Gigabit LAN and WAN for fibre (?)
b) USB printer support (on a second USB port)
c) A built in ATA (not likely on my budget!)
d) Built in usage monitoring with a UI (do any of them do this? I see the TP-Link has Gargoyle option)
Thanks for any feedback you can give