I'm moving from a telstra cable connection to one of the Unlimited plans available.
Two main options I had:
1- Orcon $99, a year contract and VOIP, no connection fees.
2- Compass $79, no contract, but paying connection fees.
3- Slingshot $90, contract, and paying connection fees.
I choose Orcon finally thinking it has a better service and average speed, which later turns out to be a big mistake.
The website says connection takes 5 working days in average, a maximum of 10 working days in some cases. I have signed up using the following process:
I haven't been connected so far (about 2 weeks later), my connection order is supposed to be done tomorrow. However, my modem never showed up.
I have called their support and sent them a few tweets:
I am quite happy that finally someone took sometime to take a look at the order and take care of this issue BEFORE the wrong service and order takes place which is probably due to me following up on the order, but hey, something is better than nothing.
The things I don't like about this so far:
- I haven't been connected after two weeks (understandable since it's holiday season etc) but check #2
- They didn't see my order in the system until after I called them a week later WTF!!
- They processed the wrong order.
- They didn't send me a modem
- The customer service rep I talked to on the phone while nice and mostly polite, was very frustrated at me the same way you saw in the first few tweets, sighing in boredom every 30 second as if I am an idiot that ordered something online then expecting something else.
- The order in their system didn't have a modem nor was a Genius, while that was the only option I had when I signed up, as you can see in the screenshot, I HAD to choose a modem and it says in big font "Great News! We can serve you shiny new broadband and phone through our Orcon Genius modem... bla bla"
- The customer support representative said Orcon will send me a LINK to their "how to connect and configure your modem", which is very useful for people like me who choose to use their own modem and configure it themselves while:
- I didn't choose to use my own modem (again)
- I won't be able to use a link to configure my internet as I don't have internet to open that link DOOOH!
- They finally found out that the online order form doesn't allow me to use my own modem and it actually got me the genius plan, which means the order is wrong, and they have offered to fix that for me (thank god) but there is a catch, as this will probably delay the connection process scheduled for tomorrow :(
Oh well, I am glad they have found the issue, and despite the many mistakes, I am happy they are taking this seriously, also glad they stopped dealing with me with frustration and impatience believing I'm a dumb user who is blaming them for his own mistakes.
Since I have been waiting for a long time and I have faced many issues that were not my fault, I have asked them to let me know today if I am going to have my internet tomorrow or not, if yes, then they may go ahead with the connection, otherwise I am going to cancel that order and go for another provider.
So yes, there is a chance (probably more than 75%) that I will cancel this order as I don't want to make a commitment with a contract to a company that makes such mistakes in such a short period of time (for new clients).
Any suggestions, and would you recommend Compass unlimited?? They are $20/month cheaper and they are obligation free with no contracts.