This works on Android 2.1 with MMS and WAP and just WAP on Android 1.6 (MMS not working)
1. Press on the menu button on the phone (left of the home button)
2. Select 'Settings'
3. Select 'Wireless & networks'
4. Select 'Mobile networks'
5. Select 'Access Point Names'
6. Press the menu button and select 'New APN'
7. Fill out the fields as below:
Name: 2degrees internet
APN Type: default
8. Press the menu button and choose save. You will see a little while circle next to 2degrees internet. Press the white button to put a green circle in it. Internet is now set up, skip the rest of the guide if you don't need picture messages.
9. To set up MMS, press the menu button and select 'New APN'
10. Fill out the fields as below:
Name: 2degrees MMS
MMS proxy: 118.148.001.118 (take care not to omit the leading zeros)
MMS port: 8080
APN type: mms
11. Press the menu button and choose save.
12. Turn off the phone and turn it back on. The settings will not work properly until the phone is restarted.
Revisions relate to saving the new APN settings (menu-save rather than back button) & a not to ensure the leading zeros in the IP address aren't omitted.