I am planning on taking up the free broadband offer, but I figure that if I can get free broadband, I may as well switch to a VoIP line rather than paying for a traditional homeline.
At the moment I have standard cordless phone, and a basic 1-port DSL modem connected to a 4-port wireless router.
I have a few questions I’m hoping you guys might be able to help me with:
- If I switch to VoIP, what new equipment will I need?
- I read that if I buy an ATA, I can use my existing phone for VoIP? Is this likely to be the best option? If so, what brand/model ATA would you recommend?
- Or can I get a new router with ATA built in (my existing wireless router has been playing up recently, so I’d be tempted to go for this option if its a similar price)? Again, recommendations regarding brand/model would be appreciated.
- What is the best VoIP provider to use? I’m thinking of signing up to 2talk.
- Can I keep my current landline phone number when I switch to VoIP?
- Is there anything else I should be aware of be before switching to VoIP?