On 15th of August, Dell has announced a recall of Inspiron, Latitude and Precision mobile workstations and XPS units shipped between April 2004 and July 2006
The battery itself is made by Sony, hence Sony is working with Dell through this recall as well as providing some financial support.
Dell has not say how much this recall will cost, but I think it would be fun to work it out.
Let's make the following assumptions:
- Only 3 million battery units were actually recalled (not everyone will follow the recall)
- Postage for each unit to Dell would cost USD$5 (considering Dell will get bulk deals) * 3,000,000 = $15,000,000
- New battery factory price - USD$40 * 3,000,000 = $120,000,000
- Promotion of this recall USD $1,000,000
- Various admin costs: assuming it takes 20 minutes to process each recall - = $1,000,000 hours @ USD each $6 (Dell rates) = $6,000,000
That's $142,000,000 USD so far..... have I missed out on anything else??
Other related posts:
How my iPhone 3G has changed the way I live
Trackback by Shop at somewhere online, on 16-Aug-2006 16:32
Dell's note pc are recalled.
Because of the battery problem.
Add a comment
Please note: comments that are inappropriate or promotional in nature will be deleted.
E-mail addresses are not displayed, but you must enter a valid e-mail address to confirm your comments.
Are you a registered Geekzone user? Login to have the fields below automatically filled in for you and to enable links in comments. If you have (or qualify to have) a Geekzone Blog then your comment will be automatically confirmed and placed in the moderation queue for the blog owner's approval.