General Americaland Impressions
- NZ things that don't translate to american
- "Coffee wanker"
- "Oh! You're a John!"
- American Things that don't translate to NZ
- "Double fisting" (drinking two beers at once)
- Lollies. Lollies for breakfast
- Bad, wicked cofee
- Starbucks everywhere
- Giant leggo cars
- ZOMG SQUIRRELS!!!!
Wellington -> Auckland -> San Francisco
- Crazy man who sat next to us
- Black sheep during dinner
- Photos & fingerprints and not being allowed to go through customs together
- Sleazy customs guy
- We had the best hostel in the world, with free pancakes
- Duty free with the hostel staff
- Penny had a breakfast with SFSU guy
- Both of us went out for lunch with the SFSU geeks
- Finally found good coffee at Blue Bottle Cafe
- Brenda got blisters walking over the Golden Gate Bridge
- Penny queued for Harry Potter in the Castro with crazy dressed up SFers
- Penny navigation FTW
San Francisco -> Portland
- We get flagged by the airline as bad people
- Silverstripers at the airport
- United overbook the flight by 50 but we get on because we're oarsum.
- Too many flamefests about VCS that we had to ban Sam from talking about it
- Free public transport
- TOE SHOES
The conference Monday
- Ruby Tutorial
- each_with_index = value then key rather than key then value
- Pro Postgres Tutorial
The evening Monday
- Keysigning BoF
- eLearning BoF
- Linuxchix BoF
- Dinner with Val Henson, Matt Garrett & some other guy
- Spa Pool!
The conference Tuesday
- Technical Management of Software Development
- Peer programming
- Penny accidently ended up in Higher Order Perl
- Rails tutorial
The evening Tuesday
- PHP/MySQL party - no flamewars, just beer
- Dance Dance Revolution
The conference Wednesday
- Postgres Performance Whack-a-Mole
- Who gets to decide what Open Source means?
- Who am I? The age of Digital Identity
- Ending Rails envy with PHP5
- gnat called MS a predator
The evening Wednesday
- Google dinner -- goodies
- Brenda sat next to mysql's head architect, and was polite too
- Pirate guy!
- Intel C Threading guy
- Opensource license guy
- Jono bacon writing a song about Penny called 'Dark hair scarey stare'
- Sun party with tricycles - Catalyst beats Silverstripe
The conference Thursday
- keynotes -- everyone from dinner had one except us and Jono and the Silverstripers
- How to Ignore Marketing and Become Irrelevant - Steve Yegge
- Lightening talks with Josh Berkus
- PDO with Mysql specific examples (fury)
- Our talks
- PHP security -- like an airline industry?
The evening Thursday
- BEER SAMPLER!
- Google SoC BoF with Silverstripers
- gnat's speaker party
- More drinking at Schwern's (blame Schwern!)
The conference Friday
- More keynotes. Gnat's keynote was the best
- Closing keynotes
The evening Friday
- Portland Zoo. We finally find squirrels
- Grease in Portland square
- Whiskey with Silverstripers and Railers
- Rails lingo! (FAIL!)
Checkout & Saturday
- YICKY hostel
- Clam Chowder
- Bloody Mary
- Exploring Portland
- Very alarming scary man in shared room
Let's go to Seattle! It's only 2 hours drive away
- For lunch, Brenda had GIANT hamsteaks covered in cream
- Sam rents a car
- But we make Sig drive
- America wants us to drive on WHAT SIDE OF THE ROAD?!
- We actually stop at a truck stop
- Seattle is in fact, 5 hours away, and we arrive at 9pm on Sunday night with nowhere to stay
- We find a motel that will let us sleep 5 people in one room
- Amazing seafood dinner on the water front with New Zealand wine, we teach the waitress how to pronounce "Matua"
- Tequila and dancing
- Long roadtrip back to Portland in time for Voodoo donuts, stumptown coffee & our plane
Other related posts:
Google Code Jam
ANZ's Internet banking goes to insane lengths to be more insecure..
microsoft supporting old edition of ODF
Comment by Allan, on 23-Aug-2007 14:28
Hey we got "SSSS"ed between LA & Denver last month. I couldn't get United's electronic checkin to recognise my credit card, flight booking number or anything else & has to resort to a passport scan - so I figured maybe we had tripped some flag with our bungled checkin attempts. According to the "nice" Homeland Security person, we had been "randomly selected by our airline for secondary processing" - right.
Comment by tonyhughes, on 23-Aug-2007 16:30
nice toeshoes B, but shave yer legs eh....
Comment by barf, on 24-Aug-2007 01:47
Comment by Natasha, on 16-May-2008 04:28
Where did u get the toe shoes? I want a pair?
Add a comment
Please note: comments that are inappropriate or promotional in nature will be deleted.
E-mail addresses are not displayed, but you must enter a valid e-mail address to confirm your comments.
Are you a registered Geekzone user? Login to have the fields below automatically filled in for you and to enable links in comments. If you have (or qualify to have) a Geekzone Blog then your comment will be automatically confirmed and shown in this blog post.