Welcome to my blog ! :)

Last night's virus adventure

, posted: 31-Aug-2013 10:30

EDIT: just further clarified what damage it left behind. It was a classic hi jack where the hosts file was infected. Containing about 15453 entries in which it would attempt to ping/send data to. Also I watched a helpful video on youtube regarding safe mode and check windows files for viruses (and obviously deleting those suspicious files), lastly hitman was used to supplement malwarebytes, and after that scan all viruses found I then googled, and removed the registry entries. 

First of all a big shout out and thanks to "teneightypea" and "honem" on geekzone chat who helped guide me along the right path to diagnosing network issues and potential threats.

What went wrong?
The internet simply wouldn't work at times. No google, no steam, no online gaming, even speedtest.net wouldn't connect to the server. Dropbox failing, youtube not loading etc.

So i decided to check my router activity. Strangely enough with no programs running, this is what I found.

Ok, I recognise those ports as steam, Nope no programs running... When i did start up steam, nothing changed. 
Again, with all programs closed (even my browser) this is what was outgoing from my PC. (boxed out ip address just cause)


looks a bit small, link here just incase someone somewhere needs to check..

So it's a lot of internet activity through the modem when I am the only PC connected (at this time) and running no programs (yes i see steam, but that was due to diagnosing problem in first pic) Also steam doesn't smash the internet like you see above. 

Ok, It's a virus. 

Let's make it quick...

My flatmates download heaps and most likely do quick installs, meaning, accepting random additional softwares, toolbars, etc. instead of unchecking boxes via custom installs. Secondly, it didn't help that for some weird reason, all anti viruses were disabled on my girlfriends pc. (cant blame her though ;)   ) 

How did we solve it?
Firstly, Command prompt was used to check all process ID numbers, against those in my task manager. Some real strange babylon stuff showed up, so I removed and exterminated it. Furthermore malwarebytes was unable to be downloaded so using Iphone's 3g hotspot we managed to download it. 

Malwarebytes had a party all night long. Malware had 2 counts on my computer, 14 on my girlfriends and 21 on my flat mates. To me it seems that 1 or more of these malware's were actually doing some damage, and being distributed via our router (explaining large traffic usage and randomly open+used ports)

All passwords etc were changed just to be safe. Online banking etc.

So i decided to reset the modem and clean all the users' from malware and other types of viruses. On my PC, google chrome got infected and had to be reinstalled, and microsoft security essentials also died, started showing fake threats and as soon as i clicked clean, it disappeared from processes (under task manager). So reinstalled that...

The name was Virtool: MSIL/Injector.ED
and a few other Virtool "something" i forgot. Obfuscator XZ or something.

These are dangerous and after a full rootkit check, malwarebytes FULL scan, MSE FULL scan and spybot (if you have annoying things popping up) have fixed this problem. Modem usage is back to normal and im able to play games again with a lovely 30ms. Netgraph on steam showed over 1,000 ping at the time this virus was intruding our computers and network. 

This post is mostly to say thanks to fellow Geekzone users for helping me out, 1080p and honem, also if anyone notices any similar problems, or has questions, please feel free to ask in the comments below.

Feels great to be safe again, I'm always up to date and virus aware, but man this thing was BAD news.

A Hectic week in Japan! -Complete version

, posted: 26-Nov-2012 17:10

Day 1:

Woke up at 5am, packed those last minute items, and headed out to New Plymouth Airport. Weather was a bit dodgy but the 7am flight to Auckland went ahead. Once in Auckland grabbed a subway and something to drink as the flight was 35 minutes delayed to Narita, Tokyo. Once on board I was next to a friendly lady who asked if I was superstitious. We were in row 13. Being a staunch New Zealander I told her, not at all. Superstition is a joke. 

It wasn't until landing (11hrs 20mins later) that I realised row 13 had given me the worst luck possible. Plan A = land in tokyo, grab the 6pm bus to gotemba, meet host family, drive to mishima. 
Plan B = psssh who needs a plan B?

Due to the flight delay I had missed the last bus to gotemba that night. Luckily in the distance I spotted my Japanese Lecturer! Running after her like an escaped prisoner (and skipping a passport check, oops, lol) I managed to catch up and ask her for some much required help!

While trying to ring my host mother to let her know the change of plan, all i received was an engaged tone. Not once, but around 4 times. Assuming my phone didn't work in japan I decided to cash into a public phone. What? still the same response. Now i started to panic. If they weren't in gotemba waiting it would be a very long walk to mishima. Just my luck, we were calling each other at the same time. Without knowing, I gave up and finally her call came through :)

New Plan : catch the express with my lecturer, for 1hr 45min and then take the next bus 9:30 to gotemba

sounds easy? I don't think so.

On the express my lecturer said h..y cr.p you only have 15 minutes to find the west exit and bus 35's stopping gate. Cocky like I am, I told her that's easy. Used to run cross country all the time. Well the 3-4km run (this train station was unbelievably huge that even locals couldn't give me directions) was very difficult with jet lag, skate shoes, bags, and jeans. 

OMG the sweat. It was so warm that standing still with my lecturer waiting to board the express forced us to sweat all over. She was a life saver and had some baby wipes to help keep us cool.

Anyways, bus stop 35 (after a lot of J-walking) YES i missed the bus. Oh wait, ticket counter closed. good game japan, good game. 
Again asking the locals for help and explaining that the next bus (10:30) was the last one and i need to get on it dead or alive.

This awesome lady went nuts and bashed on the door of the kiosk until a lady (packing up to go home) come to see what's happening. She refused to sell a ticket to me, and later said I could not pay the driver either. After much debate, she called the driver and said cash will be fine. 

What a day. Couple of hours later I arrive in gotemba, at 12:06am Japan time. That's 5am-4am NZ time. 

Day 2: (since it's past midnight)

Yay bed time!! everything will be fine!
I could barely sleep, my body was still vibrating like i was on an aeroplane, train or bus. 
When I did eventually get to sleep, it was short lived. Today we were going to the Canon facilities for some recreation. Swimming, badmintion, gym etc. I was still jetlagged like crazy :s can't remember the rest of the day lol
* just remembered, Panda chan sweets!! so delicious! in the album link below
Day 3:
Hello Kitty Land!!

After explaining I would either be shot, or have no friends for going to Hello Kitty Land, well.... it was amazingly awesome! Definitely one of the highlights. It's crazy how one character can be so popular to have a place dedicated to them. We definitely don't have a huge fantasy land dedicated to the Nek Minnit Guy. 

Lunch was strange. A Mc Donalds with exceptional service, and a 2013 pokemon calendar. Could it get any better? Yes, it could. A very scary, smelly....

Creamed cheese, crab and shrimp burger. WHAT THE .... 
Yes it exists: 

mmmm hot and creamy.

Everyone's favorite was the boat ride at kitty land.
Instead of describing it, i managed to video the entire thing. Maybe a little scary, but yea. 

Other various photos are in this small album including some home made floor tile towers with the twins, a missing tooth, and some photos in kitty land.


The missing tooth was my doing. After sprinkling tiles over her one got lodged perfectly in her mouth, smashing out the wobbly tooth. I have never seen her so pleased, so i didn't get in trouble :D

the christmas mood was a bit early, but very different to the New Plymouth parade down the middle of town im used to.

Many dancers and flips etc. 

Day 4: Flat laptop.
Good game once again, my laptop charger has the earth pin, which doesn't work in Japan. 4 days later an adaptor came in the mail from amazon jp. Amazingly enough it was about $3 NZ on amazon. Much better than the $120 charger in stores. Quality? absolutely insulting LOL. But it does the job :)

I popped down to see the people at MIRA to let them know i'm in Mishima and they provided information about the sister city celebration. 20 years between New Plymouth and Mishima. 

Im going to take a break from writing, and i'll continue from the sister city celebration. 
Still to come: getting sick, taking medicine, bad side effects, a traditional japanese house with an 88 year old, visiting sun to moon, long car rides, karate in pants 10x my size, monorail, amazing soup, sweet beans, 40km long traffic jams.

see you soon! thanks for your time.

Guide to making your Computer UV reactive

, posted: 22-Aug-2011 09:45

Hello to all !
first of all, thanks for viewing my first ever blog !

I wanted to make my computer UV reactive, sadly the price for UV reactive sata cables were $13 each. I have 7 sata devices and I am not keen to spend $91 on sata cables.

So, I had an idea....

This blog is about how I made my PC UV reactive, easily and by spending about $50 total.
here is a link to a vide of it in action: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMUVkKBaSCc

First of all, you will need a computer. Now, to create UV light in your computer you will need some UV black backlit lights. Here is a link to the lights I purchased.


Now that you have UV light in your PC case, its time to have some things react to it !

The expensive option : buy all UV reactive products.
The more fun and cheaper option: buy paint !!

Secondly, you will need a primer to enable paint to stick to those slippery cables (and other parts). I used this Gesso primer as an undercoat. This paint was perfect for the job as it was really gritty, enabling the other paint to stick well. 


This gesso primer set me back around $7. 

Here is a picture of the undercoat going on sata cables and my HD 5770 1GB

The red tube of paint you can see in these photos, cost about $6 and it is fluro red
I selected a bright fluro red paint. This looked really pink at first, so I recommend at least 2 coats. Also, make sure that the primer is coated on well, as this enables the fluro paint to become slightly brighter. These pictures are my second coat.

For this project, I painted most of my cabling and purchased some cheap cable wrap which is UV blue reactive. The UV blue looked really lame compared to the UV red.
Here is a link to the UV blue cable wrap, remember I do recommend a brighter color..

Picture of cable wrap:                       Picture of completed sata cables:

What I recommend is choosing bright colors, fluro red, fluro green, fluro yellow, as these colors will react well and make you computer look awesome.

Due to excessive paint purchases I put some dots of paint on the fan blades to give the fan a red circle. Also the PSU got some lines on it and the capacitors on the motherboard.

My case fan                                       Motherboard with red highlights       PSU getting painted

My PC also has an aftermarket overclockers cooling system. saves about 5 degrees and nothing more, so why not paint it?


Day Time:

Night Time (test run)

Night Time (completed project)

UV looks best at night time, and just by adding the paint I went from a dark inside, to a vibrant crowd pleaser. 

Link to a video of it in action : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMUVkKBaSCc 

thanks for reading this blog, hopefully it makes you consider going UV or passed some time at the office/home.
Im keen to answer any questions you have about my project.

thanks to all.

From Leslie A. (b0untypure1) 

b0untypure1's profile

Leslie Alldridge
new plymouth
New Zealand