- Neowin.net: Sony Warns About European PS3 Backwards Compatibility
- Engadget: Europe's PS3 to have limited PS2 backwards compatibility?
- Gizmodo: European PS3 Has Gimped Backward Compatibility
- TGDaily: Euro PS3 to cut PS2 Emotion Engine
- NZ Herald: Europe's PlayStation 3 will play fewer old games
- Gamespot: PS3 backwards-compatibility lag in Australia, Europe due to costs: Sony AU boss
- Gamespot: PS3 less backwards-compatible in Europe?
- arstechnica.com: Sony tweaks European PS3 hardware, backwards compatibility takes a hit
- Kotaku: SCEE Responds to Backward Compatability
- Three-Speech: SCEE Responds to Backward Compatability
- Stuff: PS3's backwards compatibility issue
- Kotaku: Rumour Smash: Australia Only Seeing 11,000 PS3s At Launch The Inquirer: Sony Euro PS3 debacle risks a major fire storm
- The Inquirer: Sony's PS3 Euro PR gets worse
- GameDaily.biz: Phil Harrison: We Are Under No Pressure to Drop PS3's Price
- Kotaku: Harrison: PS3 Demand Is Unprecedented
Other related posts:
Apple new MacBook and MacBook Pro
[Update] Logitech Harmony 880 Review
Faulty RAM sparked a reborn for SBS@home
Comment by E, on 26-Feb-2007 12:29
Just buy an Xbox. According too theinquirer.net Software makers are faced with twice the cost to write a game for the PS3 as the 360 and only a fifth the market to sell it in to. It doesn't take a genius to figure out that the second generation of PS3 games will have a lot more ROI calculations done on them before they get a green light. Many won't get that green light. This is far more than a theoretical problem. Several game developers are not writing Cell code any more; just farming it out, the 360 is the development target now So the 360 will be utilized fully and optimized for. If there are special features of the 360, they will get used, and every tweak and hack explored as well. This will then be shoveled off to some poor third party who has to make it work on the PS3, a very different architecture with a very different set of strengths and weaknesses. What you end up with is a fully utilized 360 and the 'same' game on the PS3 with all the weaknesses of the 360 and all the weaknesses of the PS3. Add in very little budget to optimize the resultant PS3 code, and you get a B-list version of an A-list title. This will be readily apparent to even the most blatantly paid for game reviewer. In conclusion it makes no sense to get a PS3 since most the titles will look less spectacular than the ones on the Xbox. Read the full article.
Comment by barf, on 26-Feb-2007 15:10
the inquirer article is incredibly wrong the SDK for the PS3 is free and based upon Open Source standards like OpenGL, NVIDIA's cG support IPv6 and alot of other stuff that will make 360 lovers cry if they bothered to learn about it it runs Linux without any modifications too! :-)
Comment by E, on 26-Feb-2007 18:10
Nobody is arguing its open source SDK. What's being explained is the lack of optimization to the cell processor. An example is the development cost to program for multi core processors on a PC. Many Game developers are refusing to do it but the fact is, affordable Modern day PCs have way more computational power than ones from a year ago. What it all broils down to is, unless somebody is willing to put up the funds to have a program specifically coded for 3DNOW!, SSE Direct X 10, Multi threading/ Hyper threading and 64 bit; We end users will only see a fraction of what a PC is actually capable of.
Comment by jammyb, on 26-Feb-2007 22:48
This is bad news. I personally am going to have a little bit of faith in Sony. They just cannot let people down anymore so I do not believe taking out the PS2 hardware will be an issue. I just hope the PS2 emulation software works and works well. As for the price, well its always been this way. Its a sad fact, the yanks and the japs make the technology and sell it to us for twice the price, its been like it with everything. On the whole, I am annoyed, but not worried. I have my PS3 pre-ordered for the release date and am looking forward to most probably, the best next gen console ever. jammyb I would also like to say, I am not a fanboy. The 360 actually rules. GoW blew my mind