In case it helps someone else having the same problem ...

 

I have Netflix on a Sony KDL43W800C Android TV.  Recently it started loading the stream and then just stopped at around 24-25% but didn't begin playing the video (on multiple videos).  All the internal network tests within the app were showing it was able to contact all servers and speed was around 30-40Mbps.  Other streaming apps on the TV were all working.  Android tablet on the same network was working fine with Netflix.  I tried clearing the app cache and data, uninstalling Netflix app updates, rebooting TV but nothing seemed to help.  In the end I tried a complete factory reset of the Android TV.  This resolved the problem for me.  I am not sure what caused it but suspect it started happening after the recent software update that Sony released.