Life is too short to remove USB safely.
So, I received my activite steel (as per this thread) and figure this is as good a thread as any to continue discussion of it :) Initial thoughts:
1. Really like the watch style. I muuuch prefer a round watch face to square and this thing just looks cool IMO.
2. Not so keen on the watch strap - it's just too narrow for me. I know it's meant to be unisex, but even so 18mm looks very dainty. 18mm also doesn't seem like very common lug width in the sort of style strap I want - 22mm seems far more common.
3. I'm already missing having text notifications and music control from my fitbit. That's going to take some getting used to. At the very least it would be nice if the watch vibrated on a notification, but I guess that would adversely affect battery so fair enough.
4. What solution are people using to sync withings step data to other services (like myfitnesspal or similar?) I've realized that since I've had a fitbit previously I'm not quite invested in the fitbit eco-system in terms of all my existing tracking data and would like to move to a more device agnostic platform for tracking...
5. My initial impression is that the step tracking may be a bit more accurate and give less false positives than the fitbit. I might have to try wear them both for a day or 2 at some point to compare. I'm definitely keen to check the accuracy of the fitbit with GPS on against the estimated distance Withings is giving me too...
6. Looking forward to trying the swim tracking but haven't had a chance to yet. Unfortunately I see it's calibrated for 25 or 50M pools and I often swim at the parnell baths which is a 60M pool so will be interesting to see how that affects it.
Anyway overall very happy with the purchase but still need to give it a bit more time. I have yet to decide if I'll continue with my Fitbit as daily driver and Withings (with a new strap) as a bit of a more dressy option. Or Withings as daily driver with Fitbit used purely for longer runs\hikes\biking with the GPS for tracking...
There are some services to consolidate data - as in a competition/game/social situation. You can't get data from Withing to Fitbit or other platform (and vice-versa) as they're (all companies not just Nokia/Withings) very protective of their client base.
I have the Activite and after a while the leather strap became old so I just got another one from retail and it fits really well - both in size and looks.
Fitbit seems to offer a decent amount of integration to myfitnesspal\strava\etc but the only things that withings seems to offer is syncing weight :/
EDIT: Actually I think I just found how to sync withings to MyFitnessPal... will have to see if it actually works though.