So over the past week or two we've had a lot of noise on our landline. Mostly its a constant hum, but sometimes it throws in some cracks and strange noises. It's really annoying to use so we've been using mobile where possible. We've tried:
- Unplug all devices (including VDSL (spark supplied) modem from dedicated DSL jack) and leave only one phone plugged in.
- Swapping phones and trying all combinations on every jack in the house.
- Trying non-cordless phones.
The thing with using non-cordless phones though, they won't work on any jack at all. We've tried three with no luck. Is there a possibility the network isn't supplying enough power for the phones to pickup a signal? Would this be what's causing the humming?
We've got a Chorus technician coming on Sunday, but I'm keen to try and know more about the possible causes before they arrive. The person I spoke to in Spark Faults said there was a fault on the line but he can't tell me anything more specific.
A couple of other things that I'm not sure are related or not:
- Starting today we've had SUPER bad pressure on most of the taps in our house. Some work fine but others don't. Council said there are no known issues in the area and problem would be local (in property or surrounding area).
- Neighbours dug up the driveway which runs the length of our property. We live in a caul-de-sac and this driveway is between our house and the main road where services would come from.
Is there anything else I should try? Unsure if it's any use but here's the stats from the modem:
Uptime: 0 days, 1:12:59
DSL Type: ITU-T G.993.2
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 530 / 6,731
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [B/B]: 0 / 0
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 9.1 / 18.6
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 17.7 / 22.3
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 13.0 / 12.3
Any help/advice/tips much appreciated, just want to satisfy my curiosity more than anything really.