Dog is the size of a female shepherd, only 6-7 years old, has fine hips and spine otherwise and is still evenly muscled on both legs but starting to get arthritis on the dodgy leg and adores running on the beach and in the woods which now she can't. As it is she is not allowed to run, jump and shouldn't be going on stairs but that is the only way out of our house so they can't be avoided (hubby is thinking up a way to make a ramp). We got a weeks worth of anti inflammatory/pain killer drugs and the vet said basically wait for until it ruptures completely then we will operate and wire it up inside. I said can't you operate on it now and she said we usually don't. She says they get about a dog a week with this.
It sounds whacked to me to keep the dog in pain, not allowed to do what she loves and allow the muscles in the bad leg to atrophy and wait until she breaks the ligament! You wouldn't treat a person that way, I don't think.
Anybody got any experience with this injury? Meanwhile I am thinking second opinion by taking the dog to the next town over.