I've been researching home automation and trying to get started. However I'm having a lot of trouble finding a hub or solution that's good and will work in NZ.
- I can't use the ever popular Samsung Smarthings Hub because its Z-Wave is illegal to use in NZ (Frequencies). (Not sure if you can physically disable the Z-Wave so I can only use Zigbee Devices)
- I could use Zigbee, however I can't find a Zigbee only USB stick for the Raspberry Pi & Home Assistant Software.
- I've purchased a Raspbee Addon Module for Raspberry Pi to provide Zigbee support, although it seems I have to run it on a separate RPi with DeconZ and a RestAPI.
- Z-Wave devices on the NZ Frequency seem very limited, and much more expensive.
- Amazon Echo Plus will soon be available, it will support Zigbee devices however the software is extremely limiting when it comes getting certain devices to trigger/talk to other devices.
- I already have a ton of WiFi devices on my network so don't really want to add too much more.
My perfect scenario would be to theoretically use a Samsung Smartthings Hub, not using Z-Wave but making use of the Zigbee instead, then purchasing my home automation zigbee products off Amazon etc...
My second option is to find a working and stable Zigbee solution for Raspberry Pi and Home Assistant, a little harder but if that's all I have I can do that.
I was considering the new Echo Plus because it has Zigbee support built in, and it's now officially a hub as well. However, it's still limited to single steps in automation. For example I can't set up a door sensor to turn on my lights when I enter the house. (From what I researched).
I'd like to have sensors around the house, and more importantly smart light switches so I don't have to a smart bulb for everything.
I also want to turn on my lights, if my Arlo cameras detect motion at night. I could possibly do this now, just waiting for the LiFX bulbs to arrive.
Could put in a few smart power plugs to control some devices, and who knows. Anything else I could think of in the future really.
I understand Zigbee devices would be my best option at this point, but need recommendations on a good Zigbee hub approach.
My question is, what are you guys using?
What recommendations do you have?
I'm not really interested in using Arduino, I'd prefer more finished solutions if possible.
I have already ordered, on it's way:
- Google Home Mini
- LiFx Lightbulbs
- Broadcom RM Mini 3 (IR Blaster)