I am in the Richmond Area and a new Wifi access point has become available today 14/4/11. The SSID for this network was rather generic two days ago and has now been renamed to "Telecom Free WiFi".
I am aware that Telecom was offering free WiFi after the earthquake but as the earthquake was 7-8 weeks ago at the time of writing this I am surprised to see this service being available now.
Apon connecting there is a General Term and Conditions Page.
Any information regarding the service, how long it will be available and any coverage or intended coverage information would gratefully received.
Christchurch Wifi Initiative
- Your use of the Service is subject to Telecom's standard Xtra Customer Terms and Xtra Service Terms.
- We reserve the right change, withhold, suspend, restrict or terminate the Service at anytime without prior notice for any reason we believe are reasonably necessary or appropriate.
- Your use of the Service must comply with all applicable laws, regulations, standards and codes, including but not limited to the Privacy Act 1993, Fair Trading Act 1986, Copyright Act 1994, Defamation Act 1992 and the Crimes Act 1961
- The intention for the Service is to provide email and web-browsing activity for the Christchurch community. We encourage users not to use streaming services or downloading services as these services may impact on the ability of other users to access the Service.
- The Service does not guarantee or assure the security of device or your internet experience. We strongly recommend that you have virus protection and a firewall installed and ensure they are fully up to date. Always use a VPN for access your work or other sensitive environment.