My desktop has done well, a bit like the ancestor's axe where the handle has been replaced a dozen times and the head half a dozen since new; it's a bit of a mongrel that has a few very old bits left but now is getting tired. So I began by carting it down to PB, who in the past has sold me various upgrades including a motherboard or two. This time, they shook their head, saying it was cheaper to replace than upgrade. Plus some of my apps are telling me the upgrade requires Windows 10... Windows 7 is coming to its end of life. However, the main problem is speed. Sometimes it seems when I type, it takes a while for the cursor to catch up.
The 8gb memory DDR3 is showing max and swapping as more Apps take up more of the device. I do a lot of Photoshop and InDesign CS6. I'm not a gamer, but on occasion when I have to edit a video of a talk, I have to take a second 120gb SSD disk from another PC to hold the data, with the C:drive being a 250GB SSD. The rest are standard hard drives holding two decades of history, images, etc. with a couple of backups. I do tend to multitask, and by the end of the day, may have a dozen windows open on two displays.
I also bought a Samsung 970 Pro NVMe M.2 512 GB to upgrade the C:drive, not realising that it would not fit the mother board. So, I'm looking for a motherboard that can take that as my C:drive.
What to buy?
- I began at PB Tech, who pitched the PB Everyday Home PC 43610 Intel 9TH GEN 6 Core i5 9400 2.9Ghz / 8GB DDR4 Ram/ 240GB SSD with 1TB Storage / Windows 10 Home 64Bit / WIFI Ready/USB3.0 $1099
- I then looked at the PB Family PC Series 43201 AMD Ryzen 5 3400G Quad Core with Radeon Vega 11 Graphics , 240GB SSD + 1 TB , 8GB RAM ,USB3.0, ,Windows 10 HOME 64 bit,Wireless Ready $976
- But then read that the AMD Ryzen 5 3600 is a lot better, but PB does not seem to have one, so I start looking at other brandless desktop companies, like DragonPC, but it all begins to become a bit of a blur.
So, let's try asking.
Anyone have any recommendations of desktop systems to look at and vendors offering them?
- Upgrading to windows 10 home is fine; I don't have much need for Pro.
- I've been using Microsoft since DOS 3.1 so I will stick with Uncle Bill.
- I want most processing to use the new SSD disks, but will have a number of existing 6TB units to hold and backup data
- Would like an empty slot for the 970 Pro NVMe M.2
- I use multiple displays. I prefer a desktop for the flexibility of adding components when I need them.
- I also own a Surface Laptop that I use when travelling. Attempts to link prove cumbersome, so I use a 240GB micro USB to move files back and forth.
- I would like to have choices in attachables. My ancient box came with the ability to add an HDMI card when I replaced my 20" display with a 32" curve, for example.
- My office is extremely quiet, typically 30 dB or lower, so I would prefer one that does not have a lot of fan or vibration noise.
Appreciate the advice... and any that may come on sale on Black Friday 29 Nov?