Hi, first time caller long time listener as they say.
I've just moved into an old 1920's villa that runs old school 3-wire phone jacks with all sorts of dodgey joins and junctions between them under the house - surprised phone and internet works at all!
So thought I would bite the bullet and rewire properly. But need some help on the specifcs. Based on my needs and reading forums here I think I want:
- 2 x RJ45 cables/ ports per room, 4 x lounge (all BT jacks replaced)
- 16-24 port patch panel
- ADSL2+/VDSL2 splitter
- 1-2 phone line in capable, that can accept an alarm system (the type that uses phone line to dial your mobile)
- Using HPM faceplates (with metalic covers) elsewhere in house
- Some sort of wall mounted rack/ cabinet (space at a premium so cabinet preferred)
- Sky dish and UHF cables for Freeview goes straight to lounge/ media centre so not sure I need to distribute further. Running Win7 Media Centre so could also push around rooms via ethernet I guess. Maybe leave room for this to be added?
Ideally rack/ cabinet with room to house:
- ASDL2+ Router incl. 4 port switch (current)
- upgrade to adsl2+/vdsl2 modem plus 4-8 port gigE switch (planned)
Not sure I need to wait for an SDP? Sigtech gear seems to get mentioned a bit? but after reading everything here my head starts hurting thinking about it.
Would appreciate advise on kit options/ retailers, and maybe an AKL (Central/North Shore) installer who can help out. Reasonably happy to do the grunt work for run the cable, but for the cabinet wiring it is clear to me that I need some expert guidance.
Appreciate your thoughts?