My dining room's lights are driving me nuts with a high frequency flickering.
The light switch for these lights has a dimmer switch that doesn't do anything (even with incandescent bulbs). I've tried changing the bulbs (including different sorts of bulb) with no joy. I am pretty sure I've seen a similar flickering previously and it was a faulty dimmer. While I am happy to call a sparky come Monday, I am not sure I can take another 24 hours of the flickering. It's a new place and we've only been here a couple of days, so I don't have a before to compare to.
Can I legally and safely remove the dimmer unit from the light switch to see if that fixes it? What do I do?
My understanding is that you and I can install things like light fittings if we aren't sparkies....but power switches and outlets are supposed to be done by electricians.
I had a couple of dimmer switches that controls overhead uplights in two rooms. I didn't like the heat from the spots that had been in them, so I replaced them with dimmable CFLs. But the CFLs would emit an audible buzz at certain light levels so I rarely dimmed them. After 18 months.....I realised we never dim them anyway.....We had actually added a floor lamp....and some smaller lights and we turn those on instead if we don't want overhead lights. So I had a sparky around a couple of weeks ago and had them removed.
No dimmers left.