Geekzone: technology news, blogs, forums
Welcome Guest.
You haven't logged in yet. If you don't have an account you can register now.

3419 posts

Uber Geek
+1 received by user: 407


Topic # 204298 26-Sep-2016 04:00
Send private message

Hey guys,
My girlfriend is looking to buy a house in West Auckland. In the plans at the council it is a single bedroom "cottage" with a kitchen, bathroom, dining/living area. But in fact 1 bedroom has been split into 2, an extra living room and bedroom have been added (built over a deck which isn't on the original plan), there is also a rumpus room and study downstairs and garage. So its been majorly extended and no sign of any building consents. The rumpus/study and garage were added likely pre-1992 (so they don't need a building consent?) but no idea about the extra living area and bedroom over the deck.


Apparently it was owned by a builder who we guess must have done it himself. She got a verbal building report basically stating nothing major issues. But worried about potential resale and insurability. Anyone bought somewhere without building consents? Can these be granted retrospectively?

View this topic in a long page with up to 500 replies per page Create new topic

This is a filtered page: currently showing replies marked as answers. Click here to see full discussion.

1092 posts

Uber Geek
+1 received by user: 84


  Reply # 1640599 26-Sep-2016 12:37
4 people support this post
Send private message

Houses get sold all the time without proper consent, however yours appears very very major...


We are not talking about a few walls pulled down and a few beams put in, we are talking substantially adding to the footprint of the house.


Sorry mate, best avoid this one, or if you really want it, get the current owner to apply for a cert. of acceptance as mentioned above. 




Unfortunately in this market, I would expect someone to snap it up quickly even in its current state, which is a shame. 

1314 posts

Uber Geek
+1 received by user: 1015


  Reply # 1640897 26-Sep-2016 20:05
Send private message





She is getting a building report done now.



I am a lawyer and I wouldn't be comfortable signing a S & P agreement in this situation without consulting a lawyer who is an expert. She needs more than a builder's report and asking on an internet discussion forum about something this major isn't a good idea.





View this topic in a long page with up to 500 replies per page Create new topic

Twitter »

Follow us to receive Twitter updates when new discussions are posted in our forums:

Follow us to receive Twitter updates when news items and blogs are posted in our frontpage:

Follow us to receive Twitter updates when tech item prices are listed in our price comparison site:

Geekzone Live »

Try automatic live updates from Geekzone directly in your browser, without refreshing the page, with Geekzone Live now.

Are you subscribed to our RSS feed? You can download the latest headlines and summaries from our stories directly to your computer or smartphone by using a feed reader.

Alternatively, you can receive a daily email with Geekzone updates.