Geekzone: technology news, blogs, forums
Welcome Guest.
You haven't logged in yet. If you don't have an account you can register now.


2118 posts

Uber Geek
+1 received by user: 641


Topic # 240192 25-Aug-2018 14:19
Send private message

TLDR: is it possible to get a motorised exhaust vent cowling for a rangehood - i.e. actuated to force open and closed when the rangehood is on and off.


I need to replace our rangehood. The stovetop is on a south facing wall, and while it's not the prevailing wind, in a southerly storm the house (and that wall in particular) takes a bit of a beating. I can only assume this is why the existing rangehood (predating our ownership) has a good 20 meters of ducting snaking through the ceiling cavity to a rooftop mushroom-style exhaust. I've had a poke around, and the ducting is thoroughly coated in fat and other unpleasantness. I'm not surprised that a rangehood fan does't put out enough pressure to actually vent out that length of ducting. To make this system work, I think I would need to replace it with more robust ducting and an inline booster fan in the ceiling space.


I'm thinking it would likely be much better just to vent the rangehood straight through the outside wall, but really want to avoid either louvres banging in the wind or other basic solutions that let a howling southerly into the kitchen. I'm fine not to use the rangehood while a southerly is raging.


My google-fu has failed me. "Motorised louvres" seems to produce results for patio louvres. Does a mechanical type of exhaust vent cowling/louvre exist? I'm happy to pay for professional advice if anyone can recommend someone in Wellington



Create new topic
236 posts

Master Geek
+1 received by user: 67

  Reply # 2079110 25-Aug-2018 16:44
Send private message

Vents can be a pain because the low pressure of the wind rushing past can pull them open and they bang away etc.

Haven’t heard of motorized ones but some can try weights on the louvre, esp. if a single piece, balanced so wind won’t pull it open but fan opens it, also some louvres seem to be designed to prevent wind affecting and you can get louvres (valves) that are positioned back along the vent pipe, they are a kind of ball shape, from memory but can’t remember what they are called to find an example.

4 posts

Wannabe Geek

  Reply # 2079223 26-Aug-2018 07:44
Send private message

You could use a motorised inline damper that is powered alongside the range hood, you can get ones with a pretty good rubber seal so seal pretty well. You could use this in conjunction with some other flappy cowling mechanism on the exterior.

Create new topic

Twitter »

Follow us to receive Twitter updates when new discussions are posted in our forums:

Follow us to receive Twitter updates when news items and blogs are posted in our frontpage:

Follow us to receive Twitter updates when tech item prices are listed in our price comparison site:

Geekzone Live »

Try automatic live updates from Geekzone directly in your browser, without refreshing the page, with Geekzone Live now.

Support Geekzone »

Our community of supporters help make Geekzone possible. Click the button below to join them.

Support Geezone on PressPatron

Are you subscribed to our RSS feed? You can download the latest headlines and summaries from our stories directly to your computer or smartphone by using a feed reader.

Alternatively, you can receive a daily email with Geekzone updates.