Geekzone: technology news, blogs, forums
Welcome Guest.
You haven't logged in yet. If you don't have an account you can register now.

1 post

Wannabe Geek

Topic # 240302 31-Aug-2018 21:41
Send private message



I would like to convert from an internally located mains mains cylinder to an outside located heat pump hot water cylinder.


I'm unclear on whether I need Auckland Council Building consent? The AC website says I do but I think that may be for newly installed HP systems ie new houses.


What is confusing is I've found a Building Act 2004 exemptions document (August 2017, version 3) that indicates I don't need consent (via exemption 38).


I rung the council to enquire but haven't heard back yet.


Any help appreciated.



Create new topic
364 posts

Ultimate Geek
+1 received by user: 76


  Reply # 2083026 3-Sep-2018 09:35
Send private message

What you describe seems to fit the exemption, provided you get a registered plumber to do the work.


18 posts

+1 received by user: 5

  Reply # 2091459 16-Sep-2018 14:42
Send private message

Out of interest which AC hot water unit are you going for?


Our old gas freeloader outdoor cylinder just died so I'm trying to decide on which option to go for, replace like for like (a new Rheem Stellar) or go for a modern electric or heat pump unit.

Create new topic

Twitter »

Follow us to receive Twitter updates when new discussions are posted in our forums:

Follow us to receive Twitter updates when news items and blogs are posted in our frontpage:

Follow us to receive Twitter updates when tech item prices are listed in our price comparison site:

Geekzone Live »

Try automatic live updates from Geekzone directly in your browser, without refreshing the page, with Geekzone Live now.

Support Geekzone »

Our community of supporters help make Geekzone possible. Click the button below to join them.

Support Geezone on PressPatron

Are you subscribed to our RSS feed? You can download the latest headlines and summaries from our stories directly to your computer or smartphone by using a feed reader.

Alternatively, you can receive a daily email with Geekzone updates.