gzt: You need to find out what circuit this is on. For instance this node could be relatively unprotected.

NZ practice is for the fuse/circuit breaker rating to be chosen to protect the cable. You still get short circuit protection if your 10 amp max device goes faulty.

Under sink location suggests insinkerator, dishwasher or possibly under sink hot water. Small HWC aren't usually required to be ripple controlled.

Edit changing the pcu to a socket probably triggers the requirement for an RCD on the circuit if there isn't one fitted already.