Recently, I looked at paid services ($13pm) with large catalogues (30 million or more tracks) for my family:
- Apple Music + If existing Apple device user; Cheapest family $20pm; Song ratings work (finer control over what you do like); Videos - Most complicated interface; Lyrics on Apple devices only (Musixmatch)
- Deezer + European focus - Bad search; Limited app
- Google Music + If existing Google apps user - Limited device support (have to use Web)
- Microsoft Groove + If Microsoft device user; Simplest interface; Four simultaneous devices - No discount for family users; No lyrics
- Spotify + Broadest device support; Lyrics on desktop (Musixmatch on other devices); half price family users - Only three non-simultaneous devices; Many app bugs
I chose Spotify because it has the fewest weaknesses even if it is not the best in most areas. It has the genre I wanted (e.g. Apple didn't) and playlist support is excellent which saved heaps of time. Groove was the easiest to use and I wanted to use it but I needed lyrics.