If 90% of them never had covid, then what about the other 10%? IMO they were best not to use percentages like that, or at least use the correct percentage. Someone reading that may think that 10% of their population had covid based on what was reported.
My understanding is that because NZ is a country of travelers, and some of these clusters actually had the people in the cluster dispersed all throughout the country, that the virus could be silently spreading anywhere. Just because they may not have had a case, doesn't mean someone, or a group doesn't have it who doesn't have symptoms.Likewise someone may just not want to get tested, maybe fearing the test, and will just try and to get over it.
Hence why we are in level 3, to mop up any of these cases. These people need to watch the press conferences and get reporters to ask the questions. I think the reporters asked the right questions today, including about that funeral and the beach urinators, and it appears the politicians are seeing those people flouting the rules on social media. I think it is time for a zero tolerance on that sort of thing. As we have seen with a wedding, events of 100 or so people potentially can cause a major major problem with spreading this, and also lead to deaths.
I would be more open to opening towns to level 2 if all people in the town were all tested, and they didn't leave the town, but the fact is that people will and need to travel out of the town. The PM talked abut the Wairarapa as an example, and many in the Wairarapa travel over to Wellington, and likewise many from Wellington travel over to the Wairarapa to work, so it isn't easy to 'isolate' the Wairarapa at level 2, without having some form of restriction at the border. So it effectively makes that town or region even more isolated, if an area is at level 2, but all areas surrounding it are at level 3. It would probably be easier in reverse, if NZ moves out of level 2, but keeps some towns or regions in level 3
100% That an area is virus free (or seems to be), means that to stay virus free (or seems to be) is to lockdown inwards travel. Keep it virus free. If so, Im ok with that, is the Mayor(s)