The driving-side switch is a really stupid idea for a number of reasons:
- the origin countries of most of our tourists and immigrants are RHD like us
- many of our tourist destinations are RHD like us
- we'd have a mixed fleet with a significant proportion of "wrong" cars for at least ten years, judging by NZ's current fleet
- there is a significant proportion of drivers who would cope very badly with the change. I'm talking of those who can barely drive competently now such as old drivers who just about remain safe and who would never dream of driving overseas in a LHD country - you'd be effectively ending their safe driving careers
- you'd cut off the supply of good value used cars from Japan and Singapore
I'd predict a significant interim increase in the road toll, tailing back to current levels over ten years or so.
Someone remind me what the benefit would be