ptinson:doozy:jofizz: First post to this thread.
I'm having ongoing issues with BigTime broadband.
I've purchased a new modem, and had that replaced (perhaps unnecessarily) but issues are on going.
The issue seems to be DNS related.
The modem (Belkin) will connect to ADSL, and connect to "internet" i.e. sign in to telecom.
However, no "internets" is then forthcoming. I get "attempting to resolve" errors, and other unusual behavior.
This morning I've changed the routers DNS to use OpenDNS, and so far it seems to be working, other than having to reload a page once or twice to get it to load.
Is anyone else having issues that seem DNS related? What can I try next?
That's an odd issue to have ... were you using TC DNS when having the issue (if so do you know what addresses)? I would say the issue with using OpenDNS is that the traffic goes out of the country then back in to do simple DNS transactions which would add latency to the request ...
Its a very odd thing to have happen.
If you get a chance and are willing can you set your modem to use the DNS servers given automatically and PM me the following details:
* DNS Server IP's given to your modem
* The current IP your modem was given
The other issues with using external DNS is that you most likely will not be sent to the local CDN for things like google and akamai.
Hi Doozy and Paul
Thanks for your replies.
I've changed my router back to default "Get DNS from ISP" and this seems to be working correctly now.
I'm having other issues that I don't think are ISP related, i.e this morning router was on, wireless was on, machines were connected to wireless but no data forthcoming. Could not log into router either.
Power cycle and all is OK.
Again thanks for replies, I'll continue to monitor the thing...