Geekzone: technology news, blogs, forums
Guest
Welcome Guest.
You haven't logged in yet. If you don't have an account you can register now.




92 posts

Master Geek
Inactive user


Topic # 79813 22-Mar-2011 21:27
Send private message

Over the last few weeks when i go to www.telecom.co.nz and log into the 'your telecom' page to view my bill online and look at my daily data usage, after clicking around on links the pages start to load slowly(more than 30 seconds). Is anyone else having this issue? All other websites load fast.

Create new topic
Baby Get Shaky!
1441 posts

Uber Geek
+1 received by user: 318

Subscriber

  Reply # 450930 22-Mar-2011 21:55
Send private message

I've been lucky if I can even log in recently, always seems to be unavailable or give an error.

165 posts

Master Geek


  Reply # 451276 23-Mar-2011 23:31
Send private message

Just tried then and also got a 404 error

I don't think it would be due to a huge amount of traffic draining the site at 11:30pm

 
 
 
 


3212 posts

Uber Geek
+1 received by user: 610


  Reply # 451280 24-Mar-2011 00:08
Send private message

Your Telecom not working for me again (was earlier this evening), can't check usage...anyone else?

8020 posts

Uber Geek
+1 received by user: 384

Trusted
Subscriber

  Reply # 451288 24-Mar-2011 01:47
Send private message

Looks like it's down again and/or just timing out, why are their systems so fragile and tightly coupled!

The concept of displaying traffic usage accounting to users is not "rocket surgery" ?

equipment logs > storage > log parser (most of the work) > database > api/caching > front end/web app

Anyway TUC is good, runs in the windows system tray and periodically pulls down the usage from the telecom pages so you don't have to bother with your telecom's unreliability.

http://www.tuc.co.nz/

Example



165 posts

Master Geek


  Reply # 451345 24-Mar-2011 10:06
Send private message

TUC works like a charm

Thanks for that!

307 posts

Ultimate Geek
+1 received by user: 3


  Reply # 452858 28-Mar-2011 18:35
Send private message

"your telecom" is a total POS imo .... completely useless!

90% of the time it just stalls and the other 10% it takes forever to load every page.




Disclaimer: Comments I make are NOT on behalf of my employer, these comments are mine and mine alone.

422 posts

Ultimate Geek
+1 received by user: 3


  Reply # 453152 29-Mar-2011 14:19
Send private message

Yeah I've had issues on and off connecting to YT for about 6 months.

Create new topic



Twitter »

Follow us to receive Twitter updates when new discussions are posted in our forums:



Follow us to receive Twitter updates when news items and blogs are posted in our frontpage:



Follow us to receive Twitter updates when tech item prices are listed in our price comparison site:





News »

Nothing nebulous about Microsoft’s cloud-transition
Posted 21-Jul-2017 15:34


We’re spending more on tech, but not as much as Australians
Posted 21-Jul-2017 11:43


Endace announces EndaceFabric for network-wide packet recording
Posted 20-Jul-2017 20:49


Acorn 6: MacOS image editing for the rest of us
Posted 20-Jul-2017 17:04


HTC faces backlash over keyboard pop-up ads
Posted 19-Jul-2017 15:53


BNZ adds Visa credit cards to Android Pay wallet
Posted 18-Jul-2017 19:44


Still living in a Notification hell – Om Malik
Posted 18-Jul-2017 13:00


Duet Display uses iPad to extend Mac, PC
Posted 18-Jul-2017 10:58


PC sales could be worse
Posted 17-Jul-2017 07:34


Crypto-currencies, tulips, market bubbles
Posted 17-Jul-2017 06:38


NZ Tech Podcast: Big batteries, solar cars, cold war, IoT
Posted 16-Jul-2017 16:53


Vodafone Australia mulls Wisp alliance, NZ implications
Posted 13-Jul-2017 16:49


Rural health professionals see fibre pay-off
Posted 13-Jul-2017 11:52


Vodafone announces expansion of $5 Daily Roaming
Posted 13-Jul-2017 10:20


Intel unveils powerful Intel Xeon Scalable processors
Posted 12-Jul-2017 20:41



Geekzone Live »

Try automatic live updates from Geekzone directly in your browser, without refreshing the page, with Geekzone Live now.



Are you subscribed to our RSS feed? You can download the latest headlines and summaries from our stories directly to your computer or smartphone by using a feed reader.

Alternatively, you can receive a daily email with Geekzone updates.