Behodar: In my experience 10.2.6 is more stable than 10.2.8 on a beige. I'm not sure what to suggest in terms of browsers; I believe that Classilla will work in 10.2 but I haven't tried it myself.
I'll have to look for that browser and give it a try. Thanks.
The main bug with 10.2.8 is that the display randomly goes to sleep for no reason and won't wake up again, so requires a reboot. "rather annoying" when you're in the middle of doing something urgent. It didn't happen under 10.1 and changing the sleep settings doesn't make any difference. :-(
RunningMan: in my book, you're doing pretty well for a 17 year old computer.
The computer (bought brnad new and now has a few hardware upgrades) and original keyboard have outlasted the Apple display and UMAX scanner. Even the Epson inkjet printer bought with the computer only gave up working last year. This current Apple mousethe third replacement, has lasted many years too.
With the exception of an occasional website that won't work, it still does everything I need it to for both my leisure and IT business computing needs. I did recently have to get a new printer which was a bit of an issue since nobody still sells one with Apple Serial ports (although I do have a USB card too) nor works with Mac OS X 10.2. I got the last of an HP model that still works with Mac OS 10.5(?) since that is what someone else here has on their Apple G4 iBook ... but a bit of extra free software and some hacking over Christmas and I got the printer working on my Mac.
Maybe I should put the specs in my signature - Beige PowerMac, 266GHz G3 (yes, GHz), 288MB RAM (yes, MB), Zip drive, ... :-)
RunningMan: Assuming there is an issue with dial up authentication affecting users with OSs older than 15 or so years, it's going to be such an infinitesimally small number of customers, it probably doesn't make economic sense to look at it.
There's no "assuming" - there's definitely a problem with their authentication server. The problem first started years ago towards the end of ihug ownership of the ISP, but they fairly quickly fixed it each time it fell over (I don't know why it kept failing every six months or so, possibly server updates). Vodafone then took over and they fixed it the first time it failed, but the second time they mucked me about for a couple of months* going through "there's nothing wrong", "we're looking into it", and "will be fixed this week", and then eventually telling me they weren't actually going to bother fixing it at all and that I had to upgrade my computer.
* It should be noted that during this time the only Internet access I had was via an equally old (but much slower) Windows PC, which was still able to log-on, so the age of the OS should be irrelevant.