Geekzone: technology news, blogs, forums
Guest
Welcome Guest.
You haven't logged in yet. If you don't have an account you can register now.


View this topic in a long page with up to 500 replies per page Create new topic
1 | 2 
johnr
19282 posts

Uber Geek
Inactive user


  #299083 15-Feb-2010 14:26
Send private message

CYaBro:
PaulBrislen:
CYaBro: What about where coverage looks good, ie all Vodafone cellphones have at least 3 bars of signal (on at least 6 different brands/models of Vodafone cellphones), but calls and texts don't come through for hours?
This has been going on at the same location for about 6-7 years now.
This happens all year round too.
If someone tries to call 99% of the time they will go straight to voicemail, the other 1% they actually get through.
If someone sends a text 99% of the time the text won't come through for a few hours at least. Then you get all your texts in a batch if more than one has been sent.
Outgoing calls/texts also have problems (call can't connect or text send failed) but don't seem to be as bad as incoming.

Telecom cellphones don't have a problem in the same location.


What did the team say when you called and raised a ticket about it?


Not sure, my mum or dad were the ones that have called in the past but they have given up calling as they were pretty much told nothing can be done about.? Not in those exact words but you get the idea.
They probably haven't called "the team" in the last couple of years.


So I would say its a Blackspot

Carriers do not mirror image coverage foot prints

John

VFNZPaulBrislen
970 posts

Ultimate Geek

Trusted
Vodafone

  #299091 15-Feb-2010 14:57

Get them to call in and log a job. Ask for the number and be the squeaky wheel. Two years is a long time and a lot has changed internally.

Cheers

Paul




Paul Brislen
Head of Corporate Communications
Vodafone

http://forum.vodafone.co.nz


 
 
 
 


CYaBro
3325 posts

Uber Geek

Subscriber

  #299092 15-Feb-2010 15:03
Send private message

johnr:
CYaBro:
PaulBrislen:
CYaBro: What about where coverage looks good, ie all Vodafone cellphones have at least 3 bars of signal (on at least 6 different brands/models of Vodafone cellphones), but calls and texts don't come through for hours?
This has been going on at the same location for about 6-7 years now.
This happens all year round too.
If someone tries to call 99% of the time they will go straight to voicemail, the other 1% they actually get through.
If someone sends a text 99% of the time the text won't come through for a few hours at least. Then you get all your texts in a batch if more than one has been sent.
Outgoing calls/texts also have problems (call can't connect or text send failed) but don't seem to be as bad as incoming.

Telecom cellphones don't have a problem in the same location.


What did the team say when you called and raised a ticket about it?


Not sure, my mum or dad were the ones that have called in the past but they have given up calling as they were pretty much told nothing can be done about.? Not in those exact words but you get the idea.
They probably haven't called "the team" in the last couple of years.


So I would say its a Blackspot

Carriers do not mirror image coverage foot prints

John


Would the phones show good signal in a black spot?
Also when you are able to make or receive a call they never drop out once connected.

nzpat
167 posts

Master Geek


  #299101 15-Feb-2010 15:18
Send private message

Mate a network is never going to have 100% coverage. Fact of life. Suck it up, or change provider.

Btw you Vodafone people are brilliant.

CYaBro
3325 posts

Uber Geek

Subscriber

  #299109 15-Feb-2010 15:22
Send private message

patznz: Mate a network is never going to have 100% coverage. Fact of life. Suck it up, or change provider.

Btw you Vodafone people are brilliant.


Thanks for your input Mate.
And yes you are right, the Vodafone people are brilliant and that is why I stay with them.

yuxek

147 posts

Master Geek
Inactive user


  #299493 16-Feb-2010 13:28
Send private message

johnr: Oh adding more towers is so simple we get the Red Helicopter hook them to the bottom and fly them in.

Towers need power , transmission , and more than a few customers using them these towers cost huge dollars.

John


why don't you use those 2g/3g base stations that people can buy for their house where they connect it to their home phone line and it provides a mini cell site in their home. Couldn't vodafone put these mini base stations where coverage is weak? They only cost a few hundred dollars.

freitasm
BDFL - Memuneh
68382 posts

Uber Geek

Administrator
Trusted
Geekzone
Lifetime subscriber

#299495 16-Feb-2010 13:33
Send private message

yuxek:
johnr: Oh adding more towers is so simple we get the Red Helicopter hook them to the bottom and fly them in.

Towers need power , transmission , and more than a few customers using them these towers cost huge dollars.

John


why don't you use those 2g/3g base stations that people can buy for their house where they connect it to their home phone line and it provides a mini cell site in their home. Couldn't vodafone put these mini base stations where coverage is weak? They only cost a few hundred dollars.


You probably don't know exactly how picocells work. They are not cell towers in neither the number of connections they support, nor the range.

It's not viable.





 

 

These links are referral codes

 

Geekzone broadband switch | Eletricity comparison and switch | Hatch investment (NZ$ 10 bonus if NZ$100 deposited within 30 days) | Sharesies | Mighty Ape | Backblaze | Amazon | My technology disclosure


 
 
 
 


richms
23579 posts

Uber Geek

Trusted
Subscriber

  #299521 16-Feb-2010 16:22
Send private message

The signal meter on a phone is no indication of how good the signal really is.

Also there are pleny of places that a phone will show 1-2 bars and not work, since the signal has to be recieved by the celltower from the phone, and some are just crap phones (looking at you chinese domestic market dual sim crap off tradme, and the R100) when in low signal areas




Richard rich.ms

yuxek

147 posts

Master Geek
Inactive user


  #299574 16-Feb-2010 20:36
Send private message

maybe vodafone needs to use a repeater to increase coverage:

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/powerwave-introduces-nexus-ft-repeaters-to-support-gsm-wcdma-and-lt...


The product and can be deployed up to 25km (15 miles) from an existing base station

1 | 2 
View this topic in a long page with up to 500 replies per page Create new topic




News »

HP unveils new innovations for businesses adapting to rapidly evolving workstyles and workforces
Posted 17-Sep-2020 15:36


GoPro launches new HERO9 Black camera
Posted 17-Sep-2020 09:45


Telecommunications industry launches new 5G Facts website
Posted 17-Sep-2020 07:56


New Zealand ranks 3rd in world in GSMA index
Posted 15-Sep-2020 10:13


Trend Micro Security Suite adds web monitoring to prevent identity theft
Posted 14-Sep-2020 15:37


NVIDIA to acquire Arm for US$ 40 billion
Posted 14-Sep-2020 12:27


Epson launches its next gen A3+ colour EcoTank multi-function printer
Posted 10-Sep-2020 16:08


Sony launches three new native 4K SXRD home cinema projectors
Posted 9-Sep-2020 18:00


Catalyst Cloud brings Kubernetes-based open-source web hosting solution to market
Posted 9-Sep-2020 17:54


Verizon Connect eyes further growth in New Zealand
Posted 8-Sep-2020 09:26


PNY launches XLR8 gaming NVIDIA GeForce RTX 30 series powered by the all-new NVIDIA Ampere architecture
Posted 3-Sep-2020 16:39


NVIDIA delivers greatest-ever generational leap with GeForce RTX 30 Series GPUs
Posted 3-Sep-2020 16:17


Weta Digital advances visual effects and animation in the cloud with AWS
Posted 2-Sep-2020 17:09


Kiwrious lab-in-the-pocket kit designed for schoolchildren
Posted 28-Aug-2020 09:03


Fitbit introduces Sense, its most advanced health smartwatch
Posted 26-Aug-2020 10:14



Geekzone Live »

Try automatic live updates from Geekzone directly in your browser, without refreshing the page, with Geekzone Live now.


Support Geekzone »

Our community of supporters help make Geekzone possible. Click the button below to join them.

Support Geezone on PressPatron



Are you subscribed to our RSS feed? You can download the latest headlines and summaries from our stories directly to your computer or smartphone by using a feed reader.

Alternatively, you can receive a daily email with Geekzone updates.