sbiddle: I used to use a WRT54g with Sveasoft firmware that supports L7. QoS works extremely well on this - simply set a rule to filter VoIP traffic (catches all of the main protocols), and set your upstream & downstream speed and it works pretty well.
Thanks very much for your comments Steve, I appreciate them.
I tried a LinkSys box that supported this kind of QoS prioritisation in 7 levels. It didn't work at all for me, the VoIP traffic was still broken up by large incoming e-mail attachments. I think the reason is that you have a TCL cable connection with huge (relative to mine) bandwidth.
I am on a wireless connection with 512kbps down and 128kbps up. The only way I have found to prevent dropouts in VoIP during incoming e-mail attachments is to ensure that any PCs on the network can ONLY USE 80% of so of the available downstream bandwidth. This leaves around 20% left over for my 2 VoIP systems.
In thinking about this, I realised it is probably because my ISP, and all the routers between the source of the VoIP packets and my router, probably do not support prioritisation based on QoS. In any case, I have no way of controlling the prioritisation of the packets sent from VFX. In the case of my other H323 VoIP system, I can control the prioritisation at both ends, but it made no difference.
If anybody has other ideas as to why this should be, I am all ears...
sbiddle: My current setup is a HP NetConnect server running ClarkConnect 4.0 that also runs my Asterisk PBX on it and CNet managed switch that supports QoS. I have ClarkConnect tagging all incoming VoIP packets and have priority given to the associated UDP ports (10001-10050 in my system) as well as QoS set for my upstream & downstream speed. This gives me perfect quality both incoming and outgoing over my TCL cable connection.
The whole QoS issue can be very complex, you only have to read some of the online forums to realise this. The downside is that unless you have QoS enabled you will suffer degredation of voice service if you try and use the interweb at the same time as talking on the phone without it.
Your current setup sounds excellent Steve, and if I had the time and other reasons to install such a server and software, I would certainly give it a try.
However, my current setup is preventing any problems on the incoming VoIP packets and it is just a small box, that plugs in and works (more-or-less).
During a long conversation my wife had on the phone just now, I was repeatedly loading pages from Geekzone and she didn't notice any dropouts at all. That's the most important thing